NYC Palace Theatre renovations

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/11/pal...-feet-for-expanded-facilities-and-retail.html
TLDR: "So we're going to spend millions raising the theatre 29 feet and refurbishing everything, and end up with followspots behind TINTED glass."
palace_thtr_spots.jpg

(I hope the windows are tinted R05--I like that color. Glad they're also venting the spots to keep all those noxious carbon-arc fumes away.)

http://www.ibdb.com/Venue/View/1317

The venting is not uncommon for some 3K plus spots. I don't remember what spots they were but the Xenons they put in the Onondaga Civic center had to be vented they produced so much heat.

The venting is not uncommon for some 3K plus spots. I don't remember what spots they were but the Xenons they put in the Onondaga Civic center had to be vented they produced so much heat.

Not sure of the Strong products, but on the Lycian 1293, 3kw xenons, they don't need venting, which as we discovered can trigger the lamp house access cover pressure switch. The inside switch, which senses air flow when you remove the cover with the lamp on, shuts off the lamp. If there's too much air flow, such as negative pressure at the fixture vent, the fixture thinks the cover is off. You can generate too much airflow with a room vent and house setup.

We still use our vents, which were used when our systems were carbon arc, to vent the room, just not with a dryer hose on the spot.

A thanks to Derek for this gem.

I could only wonder if anyone considered making the stage larger with the new building. The drawings seemingly say this is not going to happen, which would be unfortunate. One thing Broadway's houses don't typically have is large stages.

Xeon lamps used in follow spots shouldn't require direct vents, but some local codes do still.

I could only wonder if anyone considered making the stage larger with the new building. The drawings seemingly say this is not going to happen, which would be unfortunate. One thing Broadway's houses don't typically have is large stages.

There's probably just not enough room to expand back or sideways. Since this whole move is obviously being done to allow for more revenue-generating retail space on 7th Ave, I can't imagine anyone would be too keen to give up any more space than they absolutely had to. Also, my understanding is that the stage house itself, and not just the auditorium, is considered as part of the landmarked nature of the theatre, therefore even positive improvements such as adding a few feet of depth to the stage house would be prohibited. Although I would imagine that a compelling case could be made to the NYC Landmark board to relax this requirement if the space and money was actually available.

Actually, I just spent a litte longer looking at the proposal. Does anyone else notice the suspicious disappearance of the Truck Elevator? The proposed ground floor plan shows a truck elevator off of 47th St, but it doesn't appear to go anywhere, as the proposal for the floor above it puts some star dressing rooms there. So is the idea that trucks just pull into the motionless truck elevator loading dock, then gear is pushed over to that 6' x 16' lift that eats up most of offstage left to get up to stage level? Anyone see something that I'm missing?

I think indeed the stage left lift and new pit lift is the loading path to stage and suspect the truck elevator is for the retail - going down three floors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back