NYC skyline

putzeye

Hello, I have been asked to design a set for a show and Director is asking for an apartment with large windows that overlook the NYC skyline silhouette. I have used a large cutout that spanned the entire upstage area. It was cut out of luaun (I believe) but we don't have access to it this time. I'm wondering if you have suggestions on a better material or a proper technique for creating this look.
Span is approx. 30 feet.
Thanks.

What kind of budget and tools do you have access to? A large CNC machine opens up a whole world of possibilities as opposed to a jigsaw. I did a medieval village silhouette for a school play in the Before Time out of 1” polyiso foam board insulation sheets that was cut with utility knives and painted black. It worked for us, but wasn’t super detailed.

C1B500AF-AA84-4043-AE3F-5EC22267EA52.jpeg

Our guy did a pretty intricate London for Mary Poppins in blue foam board.. probably 1/2 inch. You can get a non toothed
razor style blade that fits a jigsaw. Cuts like buttah.. no foam sawdust. Would go much quicker than Lauan and no splinters either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back