Oakland "Nightclub" Fire

MNicolai

ETCP Certified Technicians
Fight Leukemia
Reports of 9 dead, 25 missing, and officials are preparing for up to 40 fatalities. I say "Nightclub", but really it's a warehouse/artist's studio being used for a rave.

A fire broke out Friday night during a party at a two-story warehouse and artists' studio in Oakland, killing at least nine people and leaving about two dozen missing, the California city's fire chief said.

Initial reports indicate dozens of people -- perhaps up to 100 -- were in the building when the fire started, Oakland Fire Chief Teresa Deloach Reed said.

Most of the dead were on the second floor, where people would have had difficulty leaving because one stairway -- made of pallets -- was the only way down to the floor below, Reed said.

"It must have been a very fast-moving fire," she told reporters Saturday morning.

"There wasn't a clear entry or exit path up on the second floor. ... If (the fire) had started in that area (by the stairwell), then everyone on the second floor" would have had trouble escaping, she said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/03/us/california-oakland-fire/

Whole place was made of wood plus all the old decor. I bet it lit up pretty fast. I wonder what caused the fire.

I wonder what caused the fire.

Me too. The only clue I've seen is this excerpt from the article linked above:

"We saw where the fire was. It was on the back left corner of the space," he said. "I started yelling and getting everyone out. It all happened really quick. The fire went up really, really, really quickly."
Mulé said he could see the flames clearly and that the blaze started inside the building.
"That was another person's studio so I don't know," he said. "Maybe there was something plugged in. It could be anything, but they weren't even home. I just know it was coming from their space."

With all the old stuff in there I wouldn't be surprised if it was an oil lamp or something already lit like a hookah.

With the amount of damage I doubt they will ever find out.

Could have been as simple as a cigarette butt. Can't believe those pictures linked above. And they had 100+ people packed in there? Not a sprinkler or fire extinguisher to be seen. Come to think of it, not even a water faucet.

With all the old stuff in there I wouldn't be surprised if it was an oil lamp or something already lit like a hookah.

With the amount of damage I doubt they will ever find out.
I suspect unless they find an eye witness that saw it start, we will never know. However, I think if they made it out, someone knows. Most likely an "Oh Sh**" moment followed by a rush to get out.

The paint aspect made me wonder about spontaneous combustion. A pile of rags with linseed oil. I know of two stage fires caused by it.

Aside from the all of the combustible materials, the photos make this place look like a total labyrinth as-is. Add what must have been an incredible amount of smoke and the pallet staircase and it's no wonder people became trapped. Fair chance the lights were dim/off too because of the rave.

Couple updates about the venue. Sounds like it was zoned as a commercial warehouse and the building was already under investigation. Victims families and friends are sharing a Google Doc to try and find/identify loved ones:

proxy.php

Looks like there's also a Wikipedia article already up and refers to the investigation as pertaining to structural deficiencies. Also noted is that a fire dept. spokesperson indicated an event like this would've required a permit that GhostShip did not have.

Could be as simple as spilled alcohol. Maybe with an overheated electrical cord, forgotten smoke butt, candle? The list of possible stupidity is pretty long.

The more I read, the more upset I get.

Washington Post has an article on it today that listed a detail I haven't seen before.

Oakland Fire Chief Teresa Deloach-Reed told The Washington Post Saturday that more than 50 people were inside, attending a . . . concert was being held on a second floor, where most of the recovered bodies were later found. A makeshift stairway put together with pallets was separating it from the first floor, Deloach-Reed said.

How sad, this is a massive loss of life caused by people who know just enough to be incredibly dangerous. Everything about this warehouse is how not to do things.

The owner of the warehouse, Derrick Ion Alemany, posted this on his Facebook page. I had seen this reported but couldn't confirm it till I found his facebook page and saw for myself. Not a word for the dozens of people who died in the edifice to his ego.

Screenshot_20161204-133535.png

Its an old school artist colony. This type of thing used to be all over NYC before everything got gentrified. Some of them still exist up my way. This is where the original Burning Man set lives the other 330 days a year. All the firecodes in the world won't stop this kind of thing from happening.

No doubt the actions of the artists in the warehouse will adversely impact artists that are not so irresponsible and thoughtless. Not much different than the current demonizing of all law enforcement officers resulting in a substantial increase fatalities in the same neighborhoods where the complaints come from. And of course those few in both cases will blame government, rather than the individuals responsible.

My wife's best friend and his husband live in the area and are long time "burners" and very involved with the party underwood in the Bay Area. One of their friends apparently knows a significant number of people who are missing. Truly tragic.

The AP article I read earlier interviewed a different survivor who said he jumped from the balcony to get out.

Sounds like no one is going to have much sympathy for the owners. Same article described a messy custody fight between Derick Ion and social services over his kids after they were found to all have lice. Meanwhile, one of the comments from someone on his Facebook page blames this tragedy on capital fundamentalism for pushing artists out of the city and into these conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back