Oakland "Nightclub" Fire

Expect emergency changes to codes and standards. We live in an era and society were there are mostly reactions, not pro-actions.

Well, sometimes not true. We are required to get a permit from the NYC Fire Dept to use haze and smoke. After some initial teething issues, the FDNY is seemingly now doing what no other NYC agency knows how to do - take initiative. Thus they come out every month and give us our monthly permit, and we don't even have to call, they just show up !. They did this for November and December, but I'm thinking they might slip for January as it's a holiday week, etc...

It's almost like somebody paid somebody off, or had an in with the Mayor or something, or paid off the Mayor.

I kind of feel bad for him but at the same time he brought it on himself. However the government knew for 20 years and did nothing should also be held accountable.

Reactions: Van
I kind of feel bad for him but at the same time he brought it on himself. However the government knew for 20 years and did nothing should also be held accountable.
I agree, the Government had responded to multiple complaints on the site. there was ample opportunity for them to cite the owners for violations and fix the situation.

Reactions: Les
I can't think of any outcome for this that would honestly feel like justice. Seeing this go the way of the Station fire seems most appropriate though. Jail for a number of years with eventual parole. Living with the guilt is probably a worse punishment than 30 years in jail.

Yeah, this is a situation where government should step in and protect people from their own stupidity. While the people involved shouldn't get away with nothing, lax enforcement from the AHJ is why those people died.

If a parent watches their 4 year old play with matches for hours before setting the house on fire, who is to blame?

You're forgetting about the third-party packaging company that designed the boxes or match books for the match manufacturer, and the vendor who sold those products to a layperson without first providing proper training.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back