Odd job posting...

My local Lowes started opening up the Christmas stuff the first week of October. It's insane.
Is Charc not reading this thread? I to hear something from him after my last post... maybe he's doing his homework for a change... or he's laying on the floor and that English class still hasn't heard his screams.

Actually I have several hours of homework left tonight... :rolleyes:

HAHAHAHA I know that feeling. A few papers due there charc? I feel your pain.

you said papers!!! don't say that word...we don't talk of such things when this wee techie has one that sill isn't even anywhere near started that was due on monday...*runs off screaming and having a panic attack*

Isn't that what college is all about? :) Perhaps we all should start a club. "People who should be doing homework, but are cruising Controlbooth instead."

I've got a 20 page research paper due in a week or two that hasn't been started. I feel both of your pain.

Now, where'd I put that Dune novel...

HEY! I'll join that club. Maybe make it on Facebook, since we are in college and highschool and other educational venues that require homework.

It could be worse, you might have just realized you wasted the last 1.5 years pursuing a degree that does you no good in the job market.
It's not a warm fuzzy feeling.

Please elaborate, avkid, you've piqued my interest. But maybe in the thread "BA vs. BFA" as that would seem to be a more appropriate place.

.................................I've got a 20 page research paper due in a week or two that hasn't been started...............

My wife is just finishing her Masters in Early Ed. She writes two 20 page papers a week. '
Course we don't see each other much, my children have forgotten who she is, and the dog growls at her when she comes downstairs from the office..............

My wife is just finishing her Masters in Early Ed. She writes two 20 page papers a week. '
Course we don't see each other much, my children have forgotten who she is, and the dog growls at her when she comes downstairs from the office..............

While getting my Master in Education. I had this "Assessment" class. We called it "Obsess-ment" due to the insanity of the teacher. We had to create an outline of an entire course and then create an outline of a two week unit with a description of all the exercises, followed by one detailed day of class. Then show how we were assessing progress every day and of course there was a final at the end of the unit to write. Every word that we wrote was questioned it wasn't just getting the concept right we had to rewrite and rewrite until we guessed the exact word SHE would use. The final document we turned in was about 30 pages long. Next to that was I had a stack of over 250 pages of rewrites that were not acceptable and removed in order to achieve the 30 pages of "perfection". It was enough to drive you crazy. We all hated the teacher. 10 weeks of what are your goals and objectives, how are the different? what are the benchmarks that tell you you have achieved the objectives? How can you asses student learning of the objectives in both formal and informal ways. CRAP!

I was getting my degree as both a History and Drama teacher. And as you no doubt have figured out history teachers are a little different than the language/literature folks. The class was around this long conference table. The language folks would sit at the front and the History folks in the back. I would bring a 2lb bag of baby carrots to class and lay it in the middle of the table. Anytime one of the guys from the History group answered a question correctly (i.e. guessed what the prof wanted us to say) he was given the opportunity to eat a carrot from the bag. We did this for weeks! She never said anything. I have often wondered if she just had no idea what to do with us? If she had so little sense of humor that she didn't get that it was a joke? It was the only way to make that class tolerable.

Ouch! Yeah, my wife has had that class, and yes it just about drove her crazy too. She did create a really cool lesson on Water, for a science class. She actually created a book called "Waterology" <like the Wizardology, Dragonology, Pirateology, etc. books> Her teacher liked it so much she wants to use it for one of her classes!.

Well make sure that your wife collects royalties on her book!

Well make sure that your wife collects royalties on her book!

That reminds me of another thing about that class the professor was so insane all of her classroom handouts were copy written.

Technically, as soon as you put your work in print form, be it writing or art, you have an assumed copyright. You can file with the government which makes it easier to argue in court if you had to. This process requires filling out a few forms and sending the work and a copyright fee to the government.

If you want to learn more, visit the U.S. CopyRight Office.

From the copyright office FAQ:
When is my work protected?
Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

Thats interesting, I've tried to log on to the US copyrite site twice and I can't get there. We have no system like that. I post copies of my work to myself registered mail with a signature and date across the sealed flap and never open them.
Are you aware if foreign writers can register their work in the US. As a playwright I am interested although I haven't had a US production yet. Just Australia the UK and Greece.

Thats interesting, I've tried to log on to the US copyrite site twice and I can't get there. We have no system like that. I post copies of my work to myself registered mail with a signature and date across the sealed flap and never open them.
Are you aware if foreign writers can register their work in the US. As a playwright I am interested although I haven't had a US production yet. Just Australia the UK and Greece.

That's interesting. Welcome to Australia. You need a special license to use a Genie Lift but you can plagiarize all you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back