Offer downloads - help

Thank you all for your concern over copywrited material. I didn't mean to trivialize anything, and I do know what we are able to legally sell, give away, and use.

It seems odd to me you say you "Know" and are listed as an undergrad. All I know is that by even taking pictures of the lighting design work I've done in shows requires Signed contracts of the director, the scenic artist, the costume designer, the make-up artist, and venue owner. Each of those is a separate sheet. That is what my families lawyer has told me and I also know if there is any music in any of these "acts" that unless it was written, played and recorded by them, that it is most likely if not entirely illegal to do. Even someone playing guitar and singing a willy nelson song is illegal to redistribute. yeah its great to show what talents people have but do you really want to be shut down for providing access to an illegal recording?

Since this is for a Community theater, and most are helped out with by the city. See if you can't run the material that you want to distribute by the cities lawyer. They will be able to help judge whether you are legally able to distribute the recording.

I'm right now fighting a director over a show that he doesn't want to pay rights for. I may even have to cut ties with him all-together to be able to work again in any state.

It seems odd to me you say you "Know" and are listed as an undergrad. All I know is that by even taking pictures of the lighting design work I've done in shows requires Signed contracts of the director, the scenic artist, the costume designer, the make-up artist, and venue owner. Each of those is a separate sheet. That is what my families lawyer has told me and I also know if there is any music in any of these "acts" that unless it was written, played and recorded by them, that it is most likely if not entirely illegal to do. Even someone playing guitar and singing a willy nelson song is illegal to redistribute. yeah its great to show what talents people have but do you really want to be shut down for providing access to an illegal recording?

Since this is for a Community theater, and most are helped out with by the city. See if you can't run the material that you want to distribute by the cities lawyer. They will be able to help judge whether you are legally able to distribute the recording.

I'm right now fighting a director over a show that he doesn't want to pay rights for. I may even have to cut ties with him all-together to be able to work again in any state.

Please (anyone) don't respond to this thread anymore. I'm sick of people saying the same response over and again. There does not seem to be a way to communicate that I know what rights we, as the community theatre, hold, the rights we need (signed) permission for in order to use, redistribute, etc, and what rights we will (not) obtain in order to accomplish many tasks we would like to do (ie recording all of our shows/plays/musicals).

We are not funded by a city or a town. All our funding is private, so no need to worry about their lawyers. And as far as my classification as "undergrad", you do not know anymore than the classification listed. That comment is very ignorant and insulting.

Please, moderator, close and delete this thread.

Please (anyone) don't respond to this thread anymore. I'm sick of people saying the same response over and again. Please, moderator, close and delete this thread.

I respect that you would like this thread closed and deleted. At this time, I will refrain from closing and will not delete as it is useful information. I agree that we may have over-emphasized the need to ensure that you maintain the creative rights prior to distribution. I don't think anyone intended to insult you personally.

So, let us all assume from this point forward that this discussion is about content distribution (which there has been some discussion about that topic that is useful to other users) and that the parties that distribute information assume all responsibility for maintaining said rights.

While it may be inconvenient for some people to create a membership, if the membership is free, and they really want to buy the video, I seriously doubt they wouldn't take two extra minutes to fill out a form and sign up. And, it would also be means to sell some kind of merchandise and have fundraisers online. (who doesn't need a little extra money (excluding people like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, U2, that sort of thing)).

Could you clarify what membership you are referring?

Could you clarify what membership you are referring?

The op mentioned
Zen cart would work, except we don't want to require buyers to create an account before they can download.
I was thinking you could make things much simpler on yourself if there is a program that can do what you want it to do already.

The op mentioned I was thinking you could make things much simpler on yourself if there is a program that can do what you want it to do already.

Thank you. I wanted to make sure that comments are clarified so as to not create confusion. There were a couple of other methods mentioned that may or may not require memberships.

cpf has come up with a great solution. I will try to get it posted here when it's complete for anyone else looking for a similar solution.

cpf has come up with a great solution. I will try to get it posted here when it's complete for anyone else looking for a similar solution.

Would that be the custom computer program he mentioned earlier?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Would that be the custom computer program he mentioned earlier?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Why yes indeed.
proxy.php

If anyone else wants a copy of it, PM me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back