Officer Shoots at Actor Filming Robbery Scene

I read this day before yesterday, I think. I REALLY want some follow up. According to the article I read the actor came out a door with mask and gun, the officers told him to dop the weapon, he pointed the gun at them and they fired at him. I have multiple questions, and statements. Besides the obvious, " Why the Hell did they not have a permit?!?!" But secondly, How did the Cops not know this was a film set? Would the Camera, Lights and First unit Gaffers standing around not be a MAJOR clue as to the situation? Even if it was a low budget there would still have to have been a shooting crew, a camera man and director.... If this was not on an hot set, where the filming was happening in the moment, why was the actor still carrying his Prop weapon? It should have been confiscated as soon as he left camera.
This story has a LOT of stupid surrounding it.

I read this day before yesterday, I think. I REALLY want some follow up. According to the article I read the actor came out a door with mask and gun, the officers told him to dop the weapon, he pointed the gun at them and they fired at him. I have multiple questions, and statements. Besides the obvious, " Why the Hell did they not have a permit?!?!" But secondly, How did the Cops not know this was a film set? Would the Camera, Lights and First unit Gaffers standing around not be a MAJOR clue as to the situation? Even if it was a low budget there would still have to have been a shooting crew, a camera man and director.... If this was not on an hot set, where the filming was happening in the moment, why was the actor still carrying his Prop weapon? It should have been confiscated as soon as he left camera.
This story has a LOT of stupid surrounding it.
If you watch the body cam video in the link Mike posted, you'll get answers to some of your questions.

Reactions: Van
If you watch the body cam video in the link Mike posted, you'll get answers to some of your questions.
What a mess. The sidewalk was cordoned off. I'm amazed they didn't have a PA on the sidewalk as well.

If I am lookinig and listening right, the cop shot his weapon before the man even turned to face him; Where was that bullet going? Did the officer fear for his life? I'm sorry, I do not see anything in that video that exonerates the cop. I know there is much more to the story, but based only on what I see and read, the cop was in the wrong. This is why we have innocent people killed. Shoot forst, ask questions later. Sorry, can't abide...

This is why we have innocent people killed. Shoot forst, ask questions later.

I've seen some disparaging remarks about the actor going around that he turned toward the officer and peeled his mask off and didn't follow the officer's every instruction to the tee, but in my mind I would've behaved the same way. If you're just doing your job and not actually robbing the place, the last thing you're thinking about mid-scene is that a real police officer might walk up behind you and start popping off rounds. If it were me, I probably would've had that same instinctual reaction to deescalate by going "whoa, whoa, not what you think", especially if I haven't yet registered in my mind it's a police officer. That's just one of the natural ways for someone surprised to react. One of the reasons they should've had someone from the film crew stationed outside in case neighbors or police did get concerned.

As for the permit, if they were largely filming indoors on private property it may not have been needed. Maybe once they stepped out onto the street it was, but I'd call it a pox on both their houses. The officer for shooting before the person even has time/ability to follow instructions, and the film crew for not putting up signs and giving a courtesy call to the police that this would be going on as well as not having someone posted outside.

Reminds me when they blew up that bus in London last year filming The Foreigner and told some people but not everyone.

This isn't just a film industry issue though. Lot of universities and high schools that from time to time use some form of prop weapon. A moment's inattention for an actor waiting in the hallway during a rehearsal and that's the ballgame.

Reactions: Van

Users who are viewing this thread

Back