Offline Editors/board Emulators

JP12687

I am attempting to download as many dfferent board models as possible so i can get familiar with them.

I have Express, grandMA, Congo, Colortran.

But i want more of them.

Can anyone link me to

some Strand Offlines(all different model lines), Hog offlines, and any others you feel is good to know.

thanks

josh

strand wont run on xp or any windows nt. yu need either virtual pc or an old comp. but for that its just the os software.

i had the hog ole but i recently deleted it. i think it was just the hog pc software.

They say the Maxxyz ole should be out any time now...

I use an emulator called DosBox to run the strand software on my computer. It emulates the dos program so you can run programs that require DOS on windows. It's quite nifty, a little bit annoying at times, but better then having to install DOS and what not.

do you have links to were i can find the Hog stuff, and Doxbox and the strand software?

i have the dos box and the ole installed, now how do i go about running them. i tred the help thing in dosbox but it wasnt of much help. currently i have an old computer from school thats running win 95 and i only use it for the ole

Traylen said:
I use an emulator called DosBox to run the strand software on my computer. It emulates the dos program so you can run programs that require DOS on windows. It's quite nifty, a little bit annoying at times, but better then having to install DOS and what not.

Can you run other programmes that use DOS using DosBox?

propmonkey said:
i have the dos box and the ole installed, now how do i go about running them. i tred the help thing in dosbox but it wasnt of much help. currently i have an old computer from school thats running win 95 and i only use it for the ole

If I am not mistaken, win95 has dos (as opposed to pseudo dos that the NT based systems run). Thus you should be able to run the dos based programs from win95. I have an analyser that runs on dos and I have an old win95 machine set up just for this.

You may need to create a batch file to run what you want but it has been years since I did such things, so someone else may have to help you (if in fact you actually need to).

The other option is to run the machine in dos. In win95/98 when you shut down you can select “reboot in dos”. Just make sure that you know where the .exe is located and remember that dos uses 8 character names, so program files becomes progra~1

Hope this helps

Yes you can run other programs in DosBox

Propmonkey - Once you open DosBox it puts you Z: drive. Type in intro. It will give you all the information you used to get started which basically looks like this:

Step 1: create a folder that you want DosBox to recognize as its "C" drive. such as C:\DOS.

Step 2: type in: mount c c:\dos

Step 3: you now have a "c" drive for DOS.

Step 4: type cd c

Step 5: If you've put a program in the DOS folder you can type dir which will give you a list of what the folder contains. If it is in another folder with that folder type cd (folder name)

Step 6: type <dir> again to gain the contents of this folder and find the executable program in strand's case it is 220os (I think). Type in 220os.exe to begin installation. You'll probably create another folder (be sure to create it with the folder C:\dos for example c:\dos\strand.

Step 7: Once installed type dir giving you once again the contents of your "c" drive find the folder you made with strand installed and type cd (folder name)

Step 8: type dir again giving you the list of all the contents in this folder and look for the exe file. If you're doing the strand one it's called c3os.exe. Type c3os.exe and it will run the program! Yay!

-Note- It can take a long time for strand to load - be patient.

Hopefully that all made sense and I wans't missing anything (I was doing it off the top of my head). Though if my instructions arn't complete typing in intro should be enough.

THis is so weird. I installed DosBox, and after a bit, I was able to get Strands OLE up.

Then, after a few runs, it stopped working. It would get to a screen with channels (grey), the time/date line at the top, and the bottom was blank.

OK, I think I got it back. I made the mistake of installing the Networker software. After deleting everything in the folder and reinstalling the OLE, it seems to be ok.

I'm surprised you just can't run it in win95 compatibility mode or something.

Radman said:
I'm surprised you just can't run it in win95 compatibility mode or something.

As am I. But it just doesn't work. Strand surely knows about it and even states as much. Time and time again I see someone from Strand saying that it does not run on an XP or NT machine. But with DosBox, I finally got it to run on my XP machine.

i don't understand why strand wont allow it to run on newer versions, its now 10yrs after win95, and 7 years from when 98 came out.

i think its time strand catches up to the times....

why do you think they dont?

in a word? cost.

I assume they would have to re-engineer the entire OS just to run an OLE under XP/NT, whereas their control boards only need DOS to run. Let's hope that they work with DOSBox people and get some sort of settings guide to make it stable. I am have a dickens of a time doing so.

why do you think strand has to catch up

we are only talking about numbers as Carey's lighting tech said to me what use is an upgrade when the current software works so well

Strand don't need to upgrade

Does anybody have a link of where i can download the software for the GrandMA or a picture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back