Wireless Oh No - 600MHz again!

Robert F Jarvis

My bad. Back from long trip to UK to find more interference on our EV RE-2 system and nothing even started to address the problems. Trying to contact EV for any possible rebates and nervous local vendor to going to offer stuff they want to sell us. Anyone with recent 'change over' experience? We're running 16 Headset Mic/Packs and 3 handheld mics on 19 receivers and need to replace them all.

That's to be expected. The wireless companies are taking over the spectrum as quickly as they can. The mic manufacturers offer rebates regardless of the brand of the old equipment. The only advantage to sticking with EV might be connector compatibility, if you want to reuse some headsets. Otherwise, there are plenty of compelling reasons to consider other brands. Not that there's anything wrong with EV, but I doubt anyone would put them in their top three list at the moment. Do you need the vendor to help select equipment and do the install? If not, being local isn't important, but price and selection are.

Last edited:
That's to be expected. The wireless companies are taking over the spectrum as quickly as they can. The mic manufacturers offer rebates regardless of the brand of the old equipment. The only advantage to sticking with EV might be connector compatibility, if you want to reuse some headsets. Otherwise, there are plenty of compelling reasons to consider other brands. I doubt anyone would put EV in their top three list. A vendor earns my loyalty by selling the product I want at a competitive price. If they do that then, sure, I like to buy local. Otherwise, there are plenty of other vendors and I don't care where they are.

Good points. The headsets are expensive so I am hoping EV will get off their butts and reply. I was interested in your excluding EV from the top 3. Is this reliability or feature based. If you had to buy 19 trans/rec pairs what would you go for? (Understanding that different folks would have different answers here)

Good points. The headsets are expensive so I am hoping EV will get off their butts and reply. I was interested in your excluding EV from the top 3. Is this reliability or feature based. If you had to buy 19 trans/rec pairs what would you go for? (Understanding that different folks would have different answers here)

We have some pros here who regularly get their hands on a variety of equipment, so I will defer to them. I'm basing my comment on who seems to be mentioned frequently on various forums, and also on who seems to be innovating and updating their products. That said, tried and true has its benefits.

Edit: I got curious about EV's current offerings. Interestingly, they make no mention of any kind of rebate, and they haven't even updated their sell/spec sheets to reflect any new bands. It's pretty hard to buy a wireless mic without current channel frequency info. It seems they aren't trying too hard to get customers.

Last edited:
Personally for me, Sennheiser EW100/500 G4's or even the older still available, still great G3 in the number one spot for quality vs budget
Bext up generally slightly less expensive but with quality features set, Shure SLX or QLX-D, Audio Techinica 3000, or 5000 series.

If you step up in any of those Manufactures to the next higher series they are all high quality gear, and it becomes personal preference on how they implement features sets, and how much you can afford.

I believe Sennheiser will take any manufacturer's 600mhz equipment in trade. Shure only takes old Shure, I think...

Shure takes any manufacturer's gear too.

^^^ what he said. IIRC, Shure's rebate program goes through the end of the month, so make an inventory of what you have and get it to a Shure dealer ASAP. They will quote you replacement Shure gear minus the rebate allowance (up to $500/channel, IIRC). Usually the rebate is in form of a check after the sale is complete, but your dealer can approach their local rep and ask for DFI (Discount From Invoice) up front (this is not widely publicized, even the rep may now know about it but I've done it so I know it's true). However, if you go the DFI route, the gear has to ship to the dealer and you must "turn in" the EV gear before they will give you your new gear. PM me if you have any issues. Good luck! mike

We have some pros here who regularly get their hands on a variety of equipment, so I will defer to them. I'm basing my comment on who seems to be mentioned frequently on various forums, and also on who seems to be innovating and updating their products. That said, tried and true has its benefits.

Edit: I got curious about EV's current offerings. Interestingly, they make no mention of any kind of rebate, and they haven't even updated their sell/spec sheets to reflect any new bands. It's pretty hard to buy a wireless mic without current channel frequency info. It seems they aren't trying too hard to get customers.

LATEST; Just asked BOSCH/EV what we could replace our RE-2/s with. They said they did not have anything yet - but were working on it! And, true from other parts of this thread; SHURE have offered us a very good rebate on our RE-2's so its just a matter of getting my (none technical) sound director to agree to the SHURE.

LATEST; Just asked BOSCH/EV what we could replace our RE-2/s with. They said they did not have anything yet - but were working on it! And, true from other parts of this thread; SHURE have offered us a very good rebate on our RE-2's so its just a matter of getting my (none technical) sound director to agree to the SHURE.

That pitiful. EV can't re-channel existing products with 3 years of lead time? It should only take a minor amount of engineering and FCC approval. Look at all of the business they are turning away because they have nothing to sell. Either they aren't selling enough wireless to commit resources, or Bosch has bled them to death. That's a far cry from the Telex days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back