Ok Scottie... Get us out of this warp!

tenor_singer

I need to begin by saying that my school's drama department is extra-curricular and is supported only by those monies that we rundraise or that we earn in ticket revenue. This lends to my designing sets on budgets well under $500.00 (including paint).

Our current production, Music Man, has a set budget of $500.00 of which I spent $550.00 on new luan (I did this because 70% of our stock of flats turned 12 years old this year and they're looking a tad ratty around the edges, so I'm going to replace them). A large portion of the $550.00 is being entered as a capital equipment expense. Our luan came delivered wet on a Friday when I wasn't at work. The people who put it away, stacked it vertically (instead of laying it flat on the floor) in our flat loft. Long story short... by the time I came in on Monday, the wet luan had dried (our construction room usually hits a balmy 80 degrees F during the day) into various 3-D shapes that reminded me of my college multi-variable calculus class renderings. Because I am a cheap #$%@#$, I built my flats out of the warped luan anyway. It didn't work. I now have several flats that are twisted pieces of junk. I am going to have to take them apart and build them as hollywood flats in the hopes that the vertical alignment of the framework versus the flat alignment will keep the wood straight.

**sigh** I HATE seeing money wasted. I guess some lessons in life are best learned by experience... namely... make sure that you are in the day that your lumber order is delivered.

Well that is one of the advantages of studio < hollywood> flats. They lend themselves to contruction from cheaper materials. You may find that you nee to double up on toggles,though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back