Okay- We've all had minor injuries...

For small injuries I usually carry some Band-Aids around. I'm pretty klutzy (I know, a klutzy technician... Weird combination.) I've discovered that a Band-Aid covered with some gaff is nifty to keep em on -- otherwise they fall off during aims and the like. They get kind of sweaty though.

As for anything bigger that can't be iced or patched, hospital's a good way to go.

If you have a cute SM, report the injury immediately and she can help you. It's always reassuring to have a cute nurse.

That aside it is important to let people know. DISINFECT, that is important and a lot of people forget it. And COVER IT UP, also very important. I don't want your blood all over the place...

I think I kind of cursed myself when I posted earlier about having relatively few injuries. Lately we've all gotten hurt a lot. Worst was ripping my finger open on a staple sticking out of a board. Stitches ftw! And Transformers band-aids.

I use Nu-Skin like it's going out of style. Little cuts on fingertips can really cramp my style, and that stuff disinfects and covers the cut completely. It's like not having the cut at all--I can go about my work freely without being subjected to small stabs of pain every time I touch something.

On the Sunday of Memorial Weekend, I sprained my left ankle hopping off a 18" platform. About 30 minutes later I was removing staples with a flathead screwdriver, which slipped, and put a small gash in the web of my left hand at the base of the thumb. The sprain I could work with... the kicker was we had plans for the Bronx Zoo the next day - lots of walking. The gash while not serious, made my left hand practically useless, and it's very difficult to put a bandage on that part... I wish I had thought of using duct tape (we don't have gaff). It wasn't until last Wednesday that I felt it had healed enough to use liquid bandage, which works wonders.

But it sure seems like something was telling me not to be working on the set over Memorial Weekend!

About 6 months ago I burned my fingerprint off of my right thumb, index finger, and middle finger.

Went to grab a gobo out of a 1000w ellipsoidal that had been on for over and hour and turned off 15 secs ago, without being told that it had been on for over an hour. I was still new.

That was painful.

About 6 months ago I burned my fingerprint off of my right thumb, index finger, and middle finger.

Went to grab a gobo out of a 1000w ellipsoidal that had been on for over and hour and turned off 15 secs ago, without being told that it had been on for over an hour. I was still new.

That was painful.

Thats a mistake you'll only make once. Luckily for me I saw someone else do it. :twisted:

So we had a concert a while ago, and the headliner showed up an hour late (after they were scheduled to be on). Well I was shooting our logo onto the curtain, from the balcony rail. Well about 45 min into the intermission/change over, I see the gobo fly out. I stand up and see a guy (had been drinking) holding the gobo in his hand. The house manager walks over there and takes it from him. She could barely hold it, by the plastic ring on the holder. She hands it to me, I can barely hold it. I have to then find something to put it on that it wont burn/melt. The guy was holding the gobo itself! I really hope that he woke up the next morning and had our logo burnt into his hand.:twisted:

i need/want to take a first aid course. Maybe go to be a paramedic. I would be good at. People said i would make a good doctor. I'll go ahead and meet them halfway.

I have been getting CPR training every year recently. and the medical folks have refined the CPR procedures again. And are looking to changing the procedures again depending on new studies.

Go get trained frequently. I was surprised that i forgot a few little things over the year. But those little things are life and death.

Here in Southplanet, a first aid certification remains valid for 3 years. So each time I have done it, it's been with a different set of CPR protocols...

Now OH&S regs here require a first aid kit in any workplace, the more people the more stuff (mostly in terms of quantity and perhaps one or two things not needed in small ones) needed.

By law, a workplace with 25 or more employees must have trained first aid personnel.

For a workplace with more than 200 employees or a construction site with >100 bods, a first aid room is required and is to be overseen by a person with an occupational first aid certificate, an ambulance officer (level 3 or above), a registered nurse or a medical practitioner.

This all from the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2001 (New South Wales), clause 20.

Essentially the rule is that if you need first aid, you seek it from a first aider in the spirit of CYA since they in theory know what they are doing... They are also subject to a significant degree of legal protection so long as the injured party consents, was unconscious or fading in and out of consciousness...

Many awards also make provision for a fiscal first aid allowance for first aiders performing that function for their employer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back