Vintage Lighting old Altman satellite I ballast box help

Markmark110

hello i have recently acquired some old Altman satelite I spotlights and only one of them had a ballast with the transformer still in it along as the caps and i was wondering if anyone of yall know a wiring diagram for the ballast itself because i am hoping to find out how everything is wired so that I can connect a new ballast inside or get new ballast transformers manufactured since we got the enclosures but with only one main transformer and all the wires cut(hence the wiring diagram) any help appreciated

Trying to remember since I had several. If I remember, the primary had three taps and a common. The common went to neutral, the hot looped up to the power switch on the light then back down (5 pin twistlock) and went to the tap switch which selected one of the three primary taps on the ballast and allowed you to compensate for line voltage. The secondary side had the capacitor in series with the output. One of the two ballast output wires was also tied to neutral. Those two wires then looped up to the lamp. So, the 5 pin twistlock contained, Hot, switched hot, ground, ballast out 1/Neutral, and ballast out (via cap) 2. In the lamphouse, switched and unswitched went to the power switch and at least one safety interlock. Switched then also connected to the fan. The other side of the fan(s) went to the ballast output that was tied to neutral. The ballast output then went to the igniter module, which also looped to the igniter push button. The output of the igniter module went to the lamp via some silicon high voltage wires. Now in all fairness, the last time I set my eyes on this was 1986, but I am pretty sure...

okay thank you but the one i have from what i can see is one winding that is seperate from another(only one tap(one in one out) and the other winding has 4 wires comming out, 2 to the selector switch one to caps where other side is to 3rd terminal of selector switch and the terminal that toggles to the 3 is not connected to anything cause it was cut

Often, ballasts are internally strapped, so there may only be 5 wires total on a three tap ballast. ( T1, T2, T3, Common, Output) One coil is the primary, the second is the ballasted output winding. Take some pictures and I may be able to decipher it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back