Vintage Lighting Old Fixture Collectors section

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
So admiditly there is much I cannot reply on these days, and my time is more spent after hours these days, less on doing show or on modern gear that I can comment on. Insetad of new fixture desigin for me, or show design, I mostly spend my off hours working on old fixtures.

Not vibrant to the forum, look at the "Inkie" or Strand #73 fixture stuff on the forum next to the often question of what I should buy, or how to design this.

The old gear stuff is concurrent vibrant and the only place perhaps where such things are active as a good thing, but on the the other hand say "old stuff" would be more accurate in asking a question about say a stage screw as opposed to say pneumatic casters.

Don't know how to forum such a thing, but such concepts as often in a post and discussion by me in say the Strand Pat. 73 for historical value, it's about old gear and limited value to them working on active shows. Both perhaps useful but diverging concepts which isn't as good of a mix in staying vibrant.

Stop posting about antiques which is of interest, or what effect does that have on other users?

Opening up for debate, seperate antique discusion? Perhaps this in freeing up air time and lessening distraction if useful for the main goal for the forum?

Personally, I've often toyed with a general "Historical" section on CB, not just for lighting, but for stagecraft in general.

Personally, I always enjoy the old fixture discussion, as I have always had an interest in history and especially the history of the things I find myself involved in.

There is no reason why it should not and can not continue. I am not crazy about giving it its own area. Many times we start up sections only to watch them fade into the sunset. We would rather have less categories that are more active then a hundred categories that only 20% are used consistently. We could probably do a tag of some sort like we do for control/dimming etc. Please though, continue the discussions... if we don't document it, who will?

I concur with footer here, keep the discussions its always wonderful to hear about he older gear and how it was used before the new stuff came out. It seems like anymore all people want are moving fixtures. As far as its own section, I don't think we need one. Maybe update Wiki with the info you have collected on it. Such as go into detail about Strand Pat. #70 in its own wiki page. I find myself bookmarking pages upon pages about gear and things from the wiki to read about later.

I admit, I'd much rather read about an old Strand Patt. 73 or an old Kleigl Fresnel than read another 10 threads glorifying the S4, or asking which mover to buy if you had a budget...

We need to keep this stuff around... And I, at least, find it a welcome change to cruise the Lighting forum, and pop open ship's latest thread, and just read through. I'd love to see these stay in the existing forums, though as Footer said, perhaps tagged?

I added an "Old Fixtures" prefix.

I added an "Old Fixtures" prefix.
Is that where we are supposed to put SteveB and STEVETERRY?

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few old ones around. As long as they aren't getting in anyone's way or causing a safety concern what's the problem? I wouldn't personally use them on a regular basis, but to some people anything better than a

For a moment there I thought you might be talking about ST and I !.
Who says I wasn't? (JK)
:)

But seriously, the category needs to be broadened to include recent discussions of Kliegl Performer and Ariel Davis dimmer. "Vintage Lighting" or "Lighting Antiquities" or somesuch (still encompasses SB and ST)?

Last edited:
Oohhh. I like "Vintage Lighting" better. I'll change the prefix to that!

I agree that keeping the vintage stuff where younger guys may be more inclined to read it is good. It is only bad when you realize you ttrained on vintage gear. My first board was a Frank Adams autotransformer dimmer board, it just went away two months ago when they tore my HS down.

Well, I have only old fixtures in my place, and half of those don't work, so I welcome discussion on those, as over the next few months I'll be trying my hand at tinkering and trying to get them to work.

I will endever to more photo and make more complete such stuff. Thanks for the support of such posts. Concept perhaps for the forum in me thinking that I re-sized the photos to 1,200x800 size, they were either thru my attempt or thru the forum in not idiot proofing, too large to post.

Perhaps what I re-sized and saved at work and sent to home didn't save for the proper posting format in attempting for the #73 article as it were. This I don't know.

On the other hand as a Dave concept, perhaps some form of auto re-sizing of photos so they don't take up the full screen and can be downloaded or otherwise can be worked on.

Believe I downsized my photos sufficiently that they should install but they didn't. I'll work on them photos, but also persay a website thing.

Working on a Kliegl #1165B lamp cap made from scratch today and all weekend. How to make one from scratch perhaps a concept that cannot be conveyed sufficiently in inventing it. Some stuff even with photo cannot be conveyed with post other than it takes time, patience and art in doing so. 12 door barn door shutter also under the works, perhaps more easily to explain in how to make but also held back given a question of my role in advising for questions asked, and nobody needing one yet. Imagine a twelve door barn door, this verses making from a few 1/2" thick plates of alumiumum an entire lamp cap assembly that should work once ground and cut away enough - this with work.

Anyway, in the morning hopefully I'll get in some new Kleigl fixtures to work on and add to the museum. Couldn't short of the proper reflector properly bench focus the Strand #73 challenge as a TBA project in doing so. Invented some parts and it's as best I could do with what I could work with in making it roughly bench focus as best with either version I did. It functions for now in working condition - both of them - the newer version perhaps better than the older.

All about now the new Kliegl fixtures I get tomarrow and once welded up, this 1165 I have been working on for weeks now. Totally readiy to go once we can get the lens train welded up and lens ground down to fit, and lamp cap with some semblence of what was done.

Anyway, I have my guys these days for making gear, and what I note in inspecting lamps often cannot be posted about gear. For me, old fixtures for the museum these days mostly. This in servicing them. Thanks for the icon and I will use it but most fearing that my posts would lessen value the strength of the website by way of high school or tech people for help. Few are dealing with fixtures on what level I'm posting about.

Well, I have only old fixtures in my place, and half of those don't work, so I welcome discussion on those, as over the next few months I'll be trying my hand at tinkering and trying to get them to work.

Thanks above and how can I help in servicing what you have? This given the new icon that don't shy away the forum goal of helping student level people such questions I ask about in seperance. Icon noted. (now just lead me to it.)

Speaking of "Old Fixtures"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

URL=

Last edited:
Strand #73 010.jpgStrand #73 008.jpgStrand #73 003.jpgStrand #73 015.jpgStrand #73 016.jpgStrand #73 007.jpgStrand #73 012.jpgStrand #73 006.jpgStrand #73 001.jpgPhotos finally attached.

That's one under the belt. The Gaff tape on the reflector for stray light didn't matter in the end and was even a little cleaner than with the blackening. This not to say that a deeper reflector as proper might have benefited by blackening of the edges of it..

Last edited:
Re: Old Fixture on Ebay

Oh' Crap.! Or holy crap in me wanting them. Knew the Strand 80's Fresnel I bought in missing a $75.00 lens was a bad idea. Just seemed like it was in need of a good home.

Wifie says no more money for the next two weeks, she is paying bills. Very tempted with both above but hope they either find a good home or get re-listed.

I bid on both now.

Anyway, PM me on such finds as I don't always shop and wish I could more. Goal is 100x antiques by the end of the year and I think I'm close... but than again my Wife has her own punch list such as an Apple, new car etc.

Last edited:
Ship, just to be clear, seller in my first post, has two fixtures, both alike and a third, somewhat different. What do you think the identity of the third fixture is? http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-Stage-L...035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362451e6b

Here's another: http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-CAPITAL...8?pt=Architectural_Garden&hash=item483d0132cc But I think the price is nuts.

Here's an old follow spot with base: http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Stage-l...741?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4cec224e4d

Last edited:
Didn't check in last night and someone bought them instead. I was looking forward to studying them but hope they have a good home instead.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back