Vintage Lighting Old Gel Book

scarraher

I bought a copy of Theatrical Lighting practice by Joel E. Rubin and Leland H. Watson and found an old gel book in it. Can anyone give me an idea of what year this gel book would be from. It was put out by the Brigham Gelatine Company and is titles "Colored Gelatine for the Theatre-School and Community Playhouse. It has a forward which says it was prepared by Theodore Fuchs. I know that it would be from sometime between 1954 and 1971, but wanted to narrow it down a little.
Thanks!
2.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg

Last edited:
No idea when its from...but if I recall the Brigham Gelatine Company was around from the late 1870's up to the mid 1970's... Rosco mentions them in their Rosco 100 years history booklet that they put out...

Sounds like you now have a great little piece of history...take care of it....

Probably one of the places to get more info, for nostalgia sake, might be from contacting Rosco or Gam....

-w

Last edited:
No idea when its from...but if I recall the Brigham Gelatine Company was around from the late 1870's up to the mid 1970's... Rosco mentions them in their Rosco 100 years history booklet that they put out...

Sounds like you now have a great little piece of history...take care of it....

Probably one of the places to get more info, for nostalgia sake, might be from contacting Rosco or Gam....

-w

My copy didn't have this gel swatch. Do you have a publishing date on the copay of the book? That would date the gel no doubt and very rare gel swatch.

My copy didn't have this gel swatch. Do you have a publishing date on the copay of the book? That would date the gel no doubt and very rare gel swatch.

It was probably something someone forgot in the book when they sold it not something that came with the book itself. Another way to tell albeit a more expensive route is to take it to a museum and have them check the paper that the text was printed on. They can tell within a few years when the paper was produced which would give you a better idea on how old the swatch book is.

Although its also possible someone could date other aspects of it as well, for less amount of dollars. Now to find out if those colors can still be got from Rosco...

For years roscogel was crossreferenced to that one as was roscolene

Given it's assumed that the gel book didn't come with the book - don't see any indications in the book that it came with a gel book either.

Take a photo of the cover of the gel book. That should go a way into dating it.

As for worth or museum dating paper.... We are not talking about if Lincoln signed the book or not. Book isn't worth that much in starting dating of it. Good book to have but nothing a museum would do for free or worth the effort. Gel swatch books, many of us have them that at times are older. Take a photo and that's free in posting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back