Old, Old lighting fixtures?

I just picked up for a service call a classic +/-1920's Olivette with the triangluar inside surfaces (not painted) with 18" square gel frame. (No name brand on it, but has origional mounting hardware & knob.) From what I read in Fuchs' this is going to be the pre-1929 form of this fixture - ln newer styles as of 1929 at least in being newer, more modern ones have parabolic reflectors instead of just the angled reflector.

Was thinking that I would fix it up for the community theater that has a use for wash lights now that for the most part all but like 20 of their oldest fixtures have been re-wired and made servicable - this given well over like 150 in the inventory, and not enough dimmers to nearly power everything up. Something like 30 or 50 Fresnels alone for a like 30'x20' black box stage that so far doesn't even have any FOH lighting positions. Lekos date from the 1960's to today in all forms. Top hit is my 3.5Q5's of course with the HPR 575/115v lamps - they out punch and are more useful than the Shakespeare's in the inventory, or supplement them over the 360Q's and 360 type fixtures, though the 4.5x6.5 radial Century fixtures I would put to use at least... Fascinating... believe they have been getting the local vaudville house's scrap fixtures for the last 50 years or so. Place has more fixtures than they know what to do with - which often means just leaving them rust away in storage.

Another thing on my punch list is to do a 1.2Kw upgrade to the Altman 1000 follow spot that just sits in a corner. They use their ancient carbon arc spotlight (without ventilation) instead. Just kind of took away some of the ceiling tiles to allow the ozone to escape into the drop ceiling... Don't want the fixture for my collection but as a public service, I gotta get them at least a bit more modern. It's only like a 25' throw, you don't need the light of a carbon arc. Upgrading the Altman 1000 should prevent people with breathing problems from dying if they sit in the audience as a concept... Yep, this theater needs a lot more help than I have time to help with. There is an improvement schedule and budget for it, but it has to be tactfully done given it's a community theater that has been around for like 50 years now, and the origional tinkerers are still there.

But I'm more and more thinking that I'll trade the light for both of my 10" scoops - which are currently on loan to the theater anyway and in excellent condition, though I went silver instead of white for the reflector. That way I own it and can add it to the shop's and my antique fixture collection. It is an antique and not a great fixture to light modern shows with unless you needed a specific look in which case the fixture could be once safe, loaned to the theater - but it's time to retire it from active service. Or at least storage in a closet.

The theater I'll of course ask permission from in doing this trade but they no doubt will find more value in not spending any money on wiring this fixture and instead taking the scoops that are sized for the theater and already in use. Also in a PC way allows me to approach the subject of, yes I did loan them to the theater for a production - with lamps I bought and money invested in fixing them up, that was like a year ago. As opposed to my dimmers and Lekos they did buy, these they did not.

This fixture was sitting in the back of a closet under some boxes anyway. This old fixture along with I count seven Altman 101's though they could also and at least some of them are a 1920's box spotlight given the open faced (no lens) design of a rusty one I moved today. They are stored in the damp basement. Every time I take them up stairs, someone else brings them back down... Them was my carrot on a stick in what I want to wire, but I'm thinking instead I'll trade like five of my Altman #65Q's for seven of the PC fixtures in need of a major service call. They don't need more Fresnels but could E-Bay them off in getting cash, this as opposed to the PC fixtures that would in me owning them still be available for use, only on my dime for re-wiring and repairing them.

While not "Antique's Roadshow" by way of making antique fixtures servicable, given asbestos is a bad thing, so is rust, I take the alternate to leaving in origional condition if it's un-safe. My Dyna Beam follow spot is mint and not rusting, and the only asbestos part is the wire leads next to the lamp. these... Hopefully such an offer will be considered fair enough to make the trade - it's a shame to see them just sitting atop a shelf and rusting away in a basement.

Seemingly a few gel frames and other assemblies to misc. odd old fixtures also there all rusting in the basement that I'm slowly getting time to investigate, make servicable or trade for what is servicable. Guess I'm converting my personal light fixture inventory into an antique fixture inventory instead. Tons of barn doors and top hats also - ur... doesn't anyone use such things at this theater, why are they not prepped and ready to go?

Almost as many 1920's antique fixture styles as at the Athanaeum Theater in Chicago also rusting away in a basement. They have a few arc light spotlights and incandescent spotlights plus some of my above Olivettes in the same pre-parabolic reflector type, and a Kliegl Dynabeam (w/o boomerang) under the audience. Somewhere else in the building is a origional and theorized to still work Eisenhower light board. If anyone gets a chance to see a show or work in that space, talk to Clyde - he is a legend in Chicago theater and can show you the antiques he is proud of. At least the light board, the light fixtures are rusting away. He also is last known to own cases upon cases worth of early 1960's radial Lekos that he might be willing to sell to anyone looking for antiques. My next step is to make Clyde an offer for his antique lights and see if once the shop really does a museum, if they will buy his light board. He might be willing given he knows I will give them a good home and was trained by him. Gotta get them lights out of the basement where lime from the morter just seeps off the brick walls in a fine powder.

Just cut off the asbestos whip on this Olivette which was somehow spliced to a dry rotted 16/3 type SO cord and open faced Edison plug. Last time it was used, such a concept was that this fixture was servicable. Didn't look under the electrical tape to see if crimp splice or older solder splice, didn't want to know.

Believe I even have an extra four spoke boom base for it, though the boom with cable hook and top of boom mounted clutch is no doubt long gone, the fixture otherwise looks fairly origional. Perhaps a good clean up of the building will lead to such items.

Thus what I believe is the oldest fixture I have ever worked on to date - sitting in my garage, waiting for me to start by cleaning off years upon years worth of dust and cob webs from it. How can lighting tech people not take care of their gear like that?

Last edited:
Oh man, ship, your my hero. You got an Olivette. I really really want to see pics. I believe the flat reflector Olivettes were made at least until 1965, theres an old cateloge on klieglbros.com to prove so. They also have an early 1913-1914 cateloge with carbon arc Olivettes. As I understand it, the first true "Kliegl Light" that made the company famous wasn't their ERS's, but their first open box arc floods.

Also there is an a page of info for an Altman Olivette under Altman's "Whats Old" section, and being as Altman only dates form the 50's, it can't be older than that. In that same 1950's Kliegl Cateloge the only available boxfloods were parabolic. I'm still kicking myself for not getting that pallet full of old boxfloods on ebay a year ago. If you ever do open a museum, I'll be first in line.

http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/t61/t61p23.jpg

1913-1914
http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/G/gm67.jpg

I still wonder where that name came from.

Last edited:
The owner has two what I believe to be Pratt 123's in the oldest form - though I did some damage to one at the yoke clamp fitting in mounting a C-Clamp and I think I re-wired them also. Three Reich & Vogul scene machines with all of their origional accessories and gel.

Got some Major and Chicago brand PC fixtures, my Dyna Beam, two Century 8x16 cannons, a Bantam Superspot, a few older brands of Fresnel (and a box full of Fresnels such as from Berkley I have not gone thru yet the theater owns but would be willing to trade for modern ones I'm sure. Last comment about this box of odd Fresnels was that if they are not the standard type, the theater should give them to a needy theater. I responded with an interst to trade than E-Bay instead of giving away. This much less out of liability I would not allow such a give away until they were safe.) A few more fixtures here and there in stock at work owned by me, others or work, plus rock & roll touring type lighting history type gear here and there all over the place.

Saw some Martin 1220's pass thru the doors to the service department a few weeks ago, can no doubt get at least one if there isn't one already in storage. Also saw some huge like 10' long carbon arc follow spots return from a show a few months ago as brought back from some theater by one of our touring people. He took them home but no doubt would free up one for the museum.

Also am storing a few more modern fixtures that "don't exist" in the company inventory that could be made available for trade in getting more antiques once the museum concept that's officially appoved of as of two years ago goes into effect. Got a Strand 1990's fixture brand new and never used for instance that could acquire something for trade. The community theater on the other hand for instance has two different lots of Century Fresnel, one with a yellow/silver name plate rivited to the top of the fixture, another with it stamped into the sheet metal. Both just went thru my service call of all similar to Altman 65 fixtures, thus I know about them as opposed to box of other Fresnels yet to deal with. I took special effort in masking tape off the logo plate - this after scraping off the flaking paint both already on the name plate and in general on the fixture. Two Altman 65Q's in the non-inventory as long as viewed as non-existing inventory should take care of acquiring them for trade. Non-inventory stays the same, two 6" Fresnels, just different brand. I have some lattitude as long as I verify permission for such a thing first. My boss the Equipment Manager would probably rather not deal with the issue, the General Manager and Owner are more the interested parties that also gave origional approval to this concept. Now just a question of some space for the fixtures.

Got room in the front office for my "lobby sculpture" as it were - the follow spot and cannons, but this would take coordination with the "designer" for the front office and we don't really talk. The rest of at least the fixtures for the moment are more just stuff that would be I-Beam clamped to the parimiter ceiling joists over my and the hoist department. What area was origionally designated as "antique" area is long gone in us already having out-grown the current five building complex and having gone back to storage trailers. No floor space left given floor to ceiling storage already and still not enough.

More antiques in storage I probably forget about including lots of antique moving lights and light boards.

Gonna be a little while before I can have the antique fixture museum a fact. Some need some attention, otherwise it just requires becoming caught up.

One of these days however... yep, a museum it will be. For now, I'm keeping my eyes open and collecting.

I still wonder where that name came from.

Amazon or E-Bay a copy of Fulchs' if not some of the books on lighting equipment by McCandless. Both are from the same 1920 to 1930's era. Doesn't really matter what year the copy you get, all are the same origional version. Not "A Method of Lighting The Stage", by McCandless while a good book to get and has been upgraded over the years as to what fixture is what, more like "Equipment for Lighting the Stage", or "Syllibus for Lighting the Stage" that go into more detail about the gear and theater itself, or possibly better yet, Fulch's "Stage Lighting."

Fulch's has the answer to this question, much less is a darned good read. Read the answer to this question just tonight in fact. Stuff you won't find in modern stage lighting books.

Theatrical lighting and history, two of my favorite subjects, doesn't get much better. I really will try to get a copy of those books.

I checked and Theodore Fuchs renewed the 1929 copyright on Stage Lighting in 1956 meaning it will not enter the public domain until 2024 (another fine example of our broken copytright system but I digress). Fuchs died in 1995 so he can't be contacted but if someone can locate an heir to his copyrights and we can get permission I will personally ensure the book gets posted online as a free book. Thre only clues I have to go on is Fuchs was a professor at Northwestern University and his personal papers (which would be quite interesting to look through) are housed in a special collection at the Lee Library at Brigham Young University in Utah.

cool, that means I have both versions. That's interesting knowledge you were able to find out. Where did you find this info out?

Any other books from him to search for beyond "Home Built Lighting Equipment" c.1939?

Also bought this, has not gotten here yet in being late.

So here it is - the c.1920's +/- Ovalite. (It's up side down. The top knob is made to mount to a stand.)

There is no name plate or brand stamped on it, the casting is fairly rough as with the metal work. The reflector is un-painted, it's the older design w/o the upgraded reflector. I'm thinking that it limits it to somewhere between say 1910 and at most say 1947 where metal working and casting will have improved/neater and brand names such as on the cast yoke knob will have had a brand. Most likely, I would think it's from the 1920's or before given the noting of white paint on the reflector in the Fuchs book of the similar to this fixture.

Most likely because it's history is most likely from one of three sources. Either a 1920's vaudville house or a 1880's college in the area. Third source would be from the Lyric Opera in Chicago - I have other equipment by them that wound up at the college which than wound up at the community theater.

Attachments

• 1-07 photos 017.jpg
    1-07 photos 017.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 498
To think that was high technology at one point, makes a Scoop look like a high class instrument.

What's the wattage on the current lamp? If it's not a 1000 watter might you get one of those monsters to make it 'authentic'? I wonder if theres any halogen lamps that would work while keeping the source in the middle of the box.

The PC's on the parallel topic of used gear retailer are more modern. Not Colortran, I'm thinking something like Colorlite or something like that as a brand starting with C. Besides, that is not a classic PC' These photos are PC's. Note the first is my Bantam Superspot' - a fixture that I have no info about but am told there was a variety of lens train and slide projector options to. I have seen the slide projector option - really cool. Concept being it's much like a Fresnel - just has a PC lens in it. The second one is the more classic style of PC that could be either incandescent or carbon arc by look - in this case from Major. It's length was cut down by about 1/3 at some point in the 1960's (why they didn't move the yoke...) none the less, believe they wanted a wider focus.

Follow up to the question earlier this week about a ETC Leko becoming a PC, what's the major difference between a Leko and a PC?

You realize that I'll have to clean like 20 years of dust off the lamp to find the wattage right? 300 Watt... about the maximum the black box space could no doubt deal with.

I would say that this lamp is not the proper lamp for the fixture, note how it's not centered. I'm thinking that the origional lamp was even larger yet - something in the range of a PS-52 sized if not carbon filament version of a DKZ.

Attachments

• IM000565.JPG
    IM000565.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 504
  • IM000567.JPG
    IM000567.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 410
On retrofitting... I know this guy with an amazing tool box, he can fix anything! (Trivia question of the day... what movie - and this most likely will tell your age.)
I can put just about any lamp at the center of a reflector and frequently have to convert between Euro fixtures that don't have 120v equivolents to 120v versions by re-engineering the base/lamp. All a question of lamp specifications, measuring seat height and adding spacer blocks, than reverse engineering. Could do almost any type of lamp at the center of this or any other fixture as could anyone else. Attached is photos of a 10Kw Mole Richardson Fresnel that came out of Werner Brothers Studios/E-Bay in totally trashed condition which needed to be cleaned up, re-wired and lamped down to 1Kw. Also other production photos such as lamp base re-surfacing and what ever else from the project was of interest. On this project, it was like a 5" difference in LCL between a 1K/2K lamp and a 10K lamp. Once you know the difference in Lamp Center Length and the height to the bench part of the lamp and the bottom of the lamp base - the rest is either jacking up or sinking down the lamp's center to compensate - easy enough. This was one of many 10K and 5K fresnels by Mole and Bambino that had to go either 1 or 2K prop light for the Mellencamp tour a few years ago.

That's also why I love my career - they pay me to tinker with stuff when not at my computer in inspecting bad lamps, spending money for more and studying lamp specs. While fixing stuff without a budget persay, this hours on end, you tend to have time to think out solutions to problems or other ways to do things. This much less lots of time to figure out how to or why it's done the way it is.

Working on something in the planning stages for another tour that's a few months out at the moment while working on gear for another tour. In gear, I'll be building lighting fixtures I designed from scratch. Fabrication shop will do the steel work to my design for the fixture, I'll wire it. That's always fun - developing a light fixture from scratch that does a world tour.

Added photos.... other PC's the PC from Chicago Stage Lighting, A CYX lamp that still worked but I was asked... Gee, "should I replace it?" etc.

Attachments

• Im000080.jpg
    Im000080.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 369
  • IM000086.JPG
    IM000086.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 267
  • IM000089.JPG
    IM000089.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IM000090.JPG
    IM000090.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 249
  • IM000091.JPG
    IM000091.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IM000095.JPG
    IM000095.JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 266
  • IM000094.JPG
    IM000094.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 262
  • IM000111.JPG
    IM000111.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 281
  • IM000140.JPG
    IM000140.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:
Yep, it can be thus assumed that Chris is a young pup. Think amazing ta' ta's in an offensive (sorry - memorable moment to guys) but hint sort of way while a guy in the movie thinks about them...- jumps off the diving board... after doing so, than in reality she enters the washroom to clear some water out of her ears and by mistake interrupts the dream sequence.... Very important movie for a generation - even over Rock and Roll High School. And a part of most broadcast versions of the movie they would tend to cut out while still keeping to the "MR. Hand" part and his deal with "My time" verses "Our time" plus pizza.

Interesting, the nose of your Pratt 23 looks a lot like the nose of the classic Strand Patt 23 from the UK and Aus. (60's Lantern). What dates do you reckon the Pratt comes from? There was also a Furse Light version and an Adelaide guy called Bunny Aust prodiuced a version in the sixties. Still a few around. The Strand, Furse and Aust versions were all 500W.

You realize that these fixtures are like 14' up on a shelving in the shop that by plan would have pleanty of room to fit everything within easy reach... Says Strand on them if I remember correctly, beyond that and screwing up one of two by way of yoke mounting them to C-Clamp at some point, never really had much of a extensive look at them beyond... snip there goes the asbestos. Old Strand paint, beyond that... don't know, could be, most likely not. They were a present for the owner of the company that got sent my way. Beyond that, I just store them next to the 2Kw Mole Ellipsos and other misc. non-inventory fixtures until such a day I hang them on display.

I actually found a very old stage fixture in my garage. the lamp was blown, but I cannot find a replacement. The lamp was an SC bayonet type with a 2" globe made by GE, I don't suppose anybody knows where I might find such an animal would they? I contacted the manufacturer, and they said they had no record of even making such a lamp.

I will edit later with the specifics of the instrument (I have to dig it out again first).

Last edited:
Something like this lamp?
100G16½/29SC G.E. #18717 (disc.) CL, Incd. 100 w G-16.1/2 cc-13 LCL 1.3/8" SC Bay Base Down to Horz. 1,660 Lum 200hr

Still some SC bayonet lamps out there that would fit correctly in the fixture, just not the G-16.1/2 globular lamp. Lots of T-8 and S-11 shaped lamps instead.

Could also change out the lamp base if in bad condition for a DC bayonet base and have lots more options in halogen lamps available.

Hello all, first post. I searched for Olivettes on google and came across this thread. I just recently picked up two Olivettes for free from the theatre at my university, and have disassembled them to repaint the inside, clean it, and rewire it. They came complete with asbestos cable with rusty stagepin plugs on the wires. They appear to be from two different generations; the two bulb bases are slightly different. One is kind of banged up too, but it's all right. I plan on using these for a movie project some friends of mine are doing, along with some Kliegl ellipsoidals that I got from the same theatre (they have tons but never use them now that they have source 4's). I'm not really sure how old mine are; could be from the sixties if the theatre bought them originally since it was built around 1968, or they could have gotten them from somewhere else; I have no idea and no way of telling. I do know that evidently several people have repainted the inside with silver paint, which made removing the old rusty hardware difficult to say the least. A lot of the bolts I ended up cutting off with a dremel tool, and I'll buy new hardware later when I get to that point. I took off the old iron curved pieces on the fixtures to mount them to stands because I plan on drilling holes in the top to use them with C-clamps. From the looks of the kliegl catalog I saw online, it looks like this was one of the ways you could get these lights anyway.

So, here's my real question about these: when I wire these up to an edison plug, where can I connect a ground wire? I'm not quite sure where I would connect this to on the fixture. Also, is there anywhere that I could get a gel frame for these? I need to use some diffusion gels on them, but I can't find a frame for that. Anyone have a couple spares?

Thanks,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back