Old, Old lighting fixtures?

Yesterday I saw this absolutely ancient light. I think it was called a Vari-Lite VL3500Q Spot, does anyone even remember that light? I mean, it had, like, shutters, and wasn't even digital! C'mon, the High End Systems DL-2 was around in 2006, wasn't it? Get this, the guy told me it was controlled by something called DMX--I'm sure he was pulling my leg so I didn't fall for it. The only kewl thing about the light was that all its nuts and bolts were metric, even the Pozidrive screw heads. Must have weighed at least 42.6 Kilograms.;)
hehehehehehe

way cool photos. Stuff I have never seen before. Fascinating, on the perspective Strand/Pratt knockoff, where does the lamp fit into this picture?
Them's all fixtures to be proud of and take care of really well. Need any help in lamps and details of how to or what, let us know. Sort of a cancils I'm hoping, the concept that old fixtures are trash and it must be all modern, instead it's more like classic cars. Not always useful for a commute to work in the snow, but great to take for a spin on a sunny day during the weekend. This much less like with stick shift, once you learn it - even if sort of obsolete, you learn it forever even if out of practice with it.
Ship, the Parellipsphere has a list of recommended lamps on it (medium prefocus base), so that isn't a hard one. The other cool thing is the sticker on it saying that it was made by the IBEW. It works, but I think that I should replace the wiring as I have a suspicion that it is asbestos jacketing. Besides, even if it isn't, it is old and crackling.

The Strand/Pratt 4x7 probably also could use new wiring, and like I said, it is a medium screw base. Finding the right lamp for that could be interesting.

I am not sure if there is hope in resurrecting the Stroboscope, but it certainly looks cool on the shelf.

The cleaning, reorganizing, and purging that I have been doing over the last week has not only left me with a much better work and storage space, but I have unearthed some pretty cool stuff. I wouldn't throw out old stuff like this, especially if it works. I am trying to figure out a good way to make a little display.

It works, but I think that I should replace the wiring as I have a suspicion that it is asbestos jacketing. Besides, even if it isn't, it is old and crackling.
The Strand/Pratt 4x7 probably also could use new wiring, and like I said, it is a medium screw base. Finding the right lamp for that could be interesting.
QUOTE]

Look on the Pratt fixture for a name plate saying something like say #264 or something like that. Know what fixture model, easy enough to say what lamp is specified for it, than it's upgrade to halogen. Replacing the wiring or removing but not replacing it does not detract from value. Some fixtures I do I replace the wiring on, other fixtures I leave wiring removed but in ready to wire condition. YOur choice either way in it not detracting from value either way and in being safe is the proper thing to do.

My notes say BTL and BTM which means 500w/120v maximum wattage. Otherwise for the Euro types, something like a T-17, T-24 or T-28 (like the Lif code only slightly more than the J-Code.) such as the FKF in more normal ANSI terms.

Along with that were a few old receptacles for something I've only seen in the old Kliegl cataloges. The receptacles were covered by a small metal hinged door, and looked like they would take a square block plug with the contacts on the sides of the plug.

Thats what we have in the theatre I just started working in.....but they still use them as floor pockets and other useable outlets backstage...:(

That's what we have in the theatre I just started working in.....but they still use them as floor pockets and other usable outlets backstage...:(
Properly known as a stage plug (see glossary). Try to find a way to leave them in their sockets, and caution everyone against using them. Never make or break live! You could attempt to make an adapter to a current connector, connecting the ground to the conduit, until all floor pockets and outlets can be replaced, ideally ASAP.

PS-Can you post pictures? My sources for one have failed me.

Old lights, the oldest I have seen are the old strand lekos I own. Wow not as old as some of you people.;)

http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/B/Kliegl_Catalog_B_%20018.jpg
http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/B/Kliegl_Catalog_B_%20019.jpg
We've got both the floor pockets and wall pockets with plugs. My camera is at home so actual photos will have to wait a day or two, we also have the disappearing footlights as shown on the next link. From what I understand the lights are still in "good order" but someone screwed them closed, and I havn't had the time yet to open them up to inspect them just for curiosities sake. I guess I could say safety sake too.
http://www.klieglbros.com/catalogs/B/Kliegl_Catalog_B_%20005.jpg

Supposedly they renovated this theatre a couple of years ago....they just neglected to do anything on the technical side. So there are a huge variety of problems from the lovely stage plugs, to lights that (I have yet to inspect these personally but was told) had the grounds cut off to fit into the groundless stage pin connecter that are currently there, and much much more.
On the plus side I get to see historic stage equipment, and thats kinda cool....
Do you have any idea where I could find more stage plugs to turn into adapters? I'd prefer to at least have adapters in them rather than fingers.

if real stage plugs, I know of a source beyond my wall of shame that might still have some but overall concept is that its not safe to be using thus adaptors in not the true option. I upgraded my old worked at 1926 house to stage pin, that's the better option - this even if there is no such thing as 30A stage pin these days either. Still adapting the stage pin to slip as it were 2P&G is the better option.

Takes investment and those experienced in such things - much less licienced for such things in cutting the panel for the new outlet and judging if the wire feeding it is safe enough to be adapted or if it needs to be re-pulled.

Just learned today that the 1927 Temple Theatre in Saginaw, MI, one of the venues for this years KCACTF Region 3, still has four electrics of RBW X-Rays!! I don't know if they will be in our design, but as often as I still see x-rays, RBW is a true blast from way back when. (I'll bet any money there are some Olivette's in a back room)

Luckily there is also an electric before each x-ray with various S4 PAR's and ERS's.

When I was on tour with the musical Chicago, decades ago, I got to operate the very, very old and original follow spots at the Shea's Theater in Buffalo (pre-renovation).

Made by Hall and Connolly, they were a lime green carbon arc, whose carbon rods were about 1/2" in diameter (as opposed to 1/4" for Super Troupers). These units were set up with positive rods feeding from the bottom on a diagonal (same as the carbon Strong Gladiators), with crank feeds to override the DC motors. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire unit was DC. The color frame assembly was a hand made wood box mounted on the front of the unit, with 6 rectangular wooden color frames that slid in to place via a string on a horizontal slider arrangement - similar to an Abacus. The iris and dowsers were wooden handled and the entire unit could be operated from either left side or right side. A great light !.

Next in line for cool early gear I got to use was the first generation of Strand-Century (US) computer lighting consoles - the Multi-Q and Micro-Q. This is the generation just prior to Light Pallette. The Multi-Q used 8" floppy disks.

We only recently stopped using our Strong carbon Super Troupers in 2001. They just got donated to a theater in Staten Island (NYC). Replaced with Lycian 3kw xenons. MUCH better unit, the Lycian !.

Still in use is the very first generation of Strand-Century double ended, quartz halogen ground rows. Originally configured for glass color media with 1" horizontal strips, in soldered together aluminum frames, that came in Red, Blue and Green. Very low profile. Eats color !.

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College
Some notes about Hall and Connolly spotlights:
>> I saw your pages devoted to Hall & Connolly lamps, and thought I'd offer my own two cents worth. I have a very extensive background with carbon arc equipment- I'm 58 and worked worked as a projector mechanic when I was younger. Most of the machines we serviced still used arc lamps at that time. In some of the larger New York area theaters it was not unusual to see Hall & Connolly spotlights still sitting up in the projection booth, from the days of live stage shows presented before the film. The previous edition of Madison Square Garden was equipped with Hall & Connolly spotlights. They were always of great interest to me, and I began collecting them from whichever theaters would part with them. Today I have 5 or six of them sitting around, in various condition.
>> A couple of comments about the history of the company: although Hall & Connolly did use a burner that had Sperry patents, Sperry never owned the company. The Sperry burner was also used in searchlights, in a different configuration. And by the way, the term "high intensity" does NOT refer to the brightness of
>> these lamps, although they certainly are radically brighter than low intensity arc lamps. It refers instead to the current density relative to the size of the carbon. High intensity carbons are also of a different chemical makeup than low intensity. The high intensity carbon arc was discovered by a German scientist named Heinrich Beck, and operates under different principles than the low intensity arcs it superseded. Hall & Connolly started in New York, and made lamp houses for film projection as well as spotlights. They were eventually acquired by J.E. McAuley Mfg in Chicago, maybe best known as the manufacturer of the Peerless Magnarc- a projector lamp. After buying H &C, McAuley offered a condenser style projector lamp called the HyCandescent, which was clearly a reference to H&C. The very largest screens needed that kind of light output, and so the "HyCan" was often used in houses like Radio City and Loews Paradise. McAuley was eventually bought by Strong Electric. Strong used to advertise a variable focus lens on their spotlights. They'd inherited that from Hall & Connolly. The light output of a Hall & Connolly spotlight in good condition certainly exceeds that of a carbon arc Super Trouper. While the Super Trouper lamp was a high intensity lamp, it was only a small one, a 1KW projector lamp modified for spotlight use. In the world of film projection, the 1KW lamp was the smallest thing useable in a movie theater in terms of what it could do to illuminate a screen.It used a 7mm positive carbon and operated at 42 amps at about 29 volts.
>> The Hall & Connolly in it's most common configuration used a 13.6mm positive burning at 125amps at about 75 volts.
>> Efficiency of light collection notwithstanding, there's no substitute for cubic inches.
>>
>> Peter Askin

Wow! thanks for joining the forum. Ten years my elder and so much knowledge to pass on
Just learned today that the 1927 Temple Theatre in Saginaw, MI, one of the venues for this years KCACTF Region 3, still has four electrics of RBW X-Rays!! I don't know if they will be in our design, but as often as I still see x-rays, RBW is a true blast from way back when. (I'll bet any money there are some Olivette's in a back room)

Luckily there is also an electric before each x-ray with various S4 PAR's and ERS's.

And now another 10 years my elder PA joins. Are you still involved with the theater can you send photos of what's there? Sounds like a fascinating place to see historic lighting in use and in storage.

I just remembered that the theatre we rented to do our musical at last year had two old Carbon Arc Strong Super Troopers. They didn't use them, instead they used their brand new Lycians. :) This was a highschool and their head tech person, who has been working their for at least 30 years, said he'd fire them up just to show me, but we never got arond to it. Their FOH catwalk was fun too. Everything from old Capital Radials, and Kliegl Radials to 360Q's and Source 4's. Additionaly, they had about a dozen 18" scoops sitting in one corner that they replaced with new L&E cycs, and another dozen or so old 8" fresnels they no longer used. On stage was also a mixtures of Source 4's, 360Q's, and what looked like three "generations" of fresnels. (I know that fresnels don't change but you could tell they were made in different decades)

Thanks for the tip about the Handbook, I'll have to pick one up.
There were at least two editions of The Photometrics Handbook, the first edition came out just before Source Fours.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Wow! thanks for joining the forum. Ten years my elder and so much knowledge to pass on

And now another 10 years my elder PA joins. Are you still involved with the theater can you send photos of what's there? Sounds like a fascinating place to see historic lighting in use and in storage.
Ummmm.... What theater are you referring to, specifically?

I was never there. I think you are responding to someone else's post. I'd posted some specific details about Hall & Connolly spotlights, but had never written anything about theaters other than giving mostly generic examples of places in NY that had them.

Any history on the company I have never hear of before to help? Here is what I have on file for a few companies I know of below them in my short history:
From what you describe we have what they did but no location or history and if catalogs are out there. Looking for similar and further info and or company web links.

-Holzmuller, C.F., 1108 Howard St., San Francisco. (Catalogue) c.1929 Listed & c.1930-1940, 1954 Listed.
-Hub Electric Company, 2219 West Grand Ave, Chicago. - Retired,... control gear & lighting hard to find parts/repair company especially for dimmers. (Catalogue) c.1929 & 1954 Listed.
-Ivanhoe Division of the Miller Company, Cleveland. Spun aluminum reflectors especially for stage-lighting equipment, footlights and Boarderlighgts; Porcelain-enameled steel reflectors. (Catalogue) c.1929 Listed.
-Ivanhoe Division of the Miller Company, Cleveland. Spun aluminum reflectors especially for stage-lighting equipment, footlights and Boarderlighgts; Porcelain-enameled steel reflectors. (Catalogue) c.1929 Listed.
-Izenour, George C., Designer-Engineer, 10 Alston Avenue, New Haven, Connecticut. Projectors, Remote-Control Devices, Switchboards; Custom Designed Units. 1954 Listed.
-Jackson, A.E. 54 Alberta street, Toronto. c.1929 Listed.
-Kansas City Scenic Company, 1000 East 24th Street, Kansas City. c.1929 Listed.
-Kliegl Brother’s (see Universal Stage Lighting Company.)

Any history on the company I have never hear of before to help? Here is what I have on file for a few companies I know of below them in my short history:
From what you describe we have what they did but no location or history and if catalogs are out there. Looking for similar and further info and or company web links.

-Holzmuller, C.F., 1108 Howard St., San Francisco. (Catalogue) c.1929 Listed & c.1930-1940, 1954 Listed.
-Hub Electric Company, 2219 West Grand Ave, Chicago. - Retired,... control gear & lighting hard to find parts/repair company especially for dimmers. (Catalogue) c.1929 & 1954 Listed.
-Izenour, George C., Designer-Engineer, 10 Alston Avenue, New Haven, Connecticut. Projectors, Remote-Control Devices, Switchboards; Custom Designed Units. 1954 Listed.
-Jackson, A.E. 54 Alberta street, Toronto. c.1929 Listed.
-Kansas City Scenic Company, 1000 East 24th Street, Kansas City. c.1929 Listed.
-Kliegl Brother’s (see Universal Stage Lighting Company.)

Hall & Connolly, Inc. was located in New York City on Vandam Street in lower Manhattan. I think the street number was 24. They were there- I believe- until the mid to late 1930's, when they were acquired by the J E McAuley Company of Chicago. There's a fair amount of literature out the for McAuley- it bacame a bigger operation than H&C had been. I think I did reference some of this in my posting. I THINK, but am not CERTAIN of this, that McAuley continued to build the spotlights Hall & Connolly had been building for a period of time, after acquiring H&C. McAuley's real market, however, was in manufacturing projector lamphouses.( Their most well known product was a lamp called the Peerless Magnarc. 'Magnarc' was a reference to the magnetic stabilization of the arc- in particular, stabilization of the plasma disc or wafer that is the source of most of the light output. But I digress....) Hall & Connolly had been building projector lamps as well- again, you may be able to find some examples of these lamps in film industry technical literature. McAuley was then acquired by Strong Electric- which probably brings it into recent enough history for you to have some background in it. Strong's address was 87 City Park Avenue Toledo, Ohio. That one's ingrained.

There is not much literature around for Hall & Connolly, it seems. I've seen a few pieces, and it seems to range from typewriter written operating instructions to slightly more elaborate catalogues. I'd suggest looking more towards the film industry- not in the area of studios/production, but rather in books like Richardson's Handook of Projection for text references as well as perhaps finding the occasional advertisement at the back of the book.

Thanks on all levels. Your reply history revealed is not before now I think known. Imagine the term papers or at least thater lighting history that could include this brand now. I have never heard of this brand, and have years of research into fixture brand history. Info added. (Lycian personally preferred but work on a lot of Strong, interesting history added.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back