Conventional Fixtures Old-school footlights

EdSavoie

Aside from being in slight disrepair, our footlights still work and the presumably mercury tilt switches are still there. That being said, one of the circuits (Down Stage Right foots) is doing something very strange.
The lights are acting like they are being powered by a relay and turning full on when the DMX value being sent by the board is very low. It isn't the dimmer module, I've already swapped it for a spare, and we tried making a new patch on the lighting console.

Last edited:
I lied, it seems the patch diagram has a slight error at the end of the list that offsets some of the circuits by two.

Swapping that dimmer with an unused one works, which begs to ask which component inside the module has failed...

Last edited:
Possibly none. If you patched to another dimmer and it worked. It sounds like that channel is set to "relay" mode, either in the rack or on the board.
In that mode, the dimmer output is either off or on but nothing in between. Usually will toggle on at a low DMX value.

Sorry, I should clarify. We don't have a patch bay. So each position in the dimmer is hardwired to each circuit. What ended up working was sliding out the dimmer module and swapping it with another one from a circuit we don't often use.

The CD80 AE was never made with NON-DIM modules according to strand. So NO-DIM is a component failing open right?

Sorry, I should clarify. We don't have a patch bay. So each position in the dimmer is hardwired to each circuit. What ended up working was sliding out the dimmer module and swapping it with another one from a circuit we don't often use.

The CD80 AE was never made with NON-DIM modules according to strand. So NO-DIM is a component failing open right?

From the manual:

Dimmer modules are available in the following configurations for
120VAC. Consult Strand Lighting for 100VAC and 220VAC applications.
n 2.4Kw Dual Dimmer (S.L. #3-081060-010)
n 2.4Kw Non-Dim/Dimmer (S.L. #3-081062-010)
n 2.4Kw Dimmer/Non-Dim (S.L. #3-081062-020)
n 2.4Kw High Performance Choke Dual Dimmer (S.L. #3-081112-010)
n 6.0Kw Dimmer (S.L. #3-081061-010)
n 6.0Kw Non-Dim (S.L. #3-081064-010)
n 6.0Kw High Performance Choke Dimmer (S.L. #3-081114-010)
n 12.0Kw Dimmer (S.L. #3-081122-010)
n 12.0Kw Non-Dim (S.L. #3-0810092-010)

found at: http://www.theatrecrafts.com/archive/documents/cd80ae_users_manual.pdf

Swapping that dimmer with an unused one works, which begs to ask which component inside the module has failed...
So it appears the slot is okay, as well as all softpatch/settings for that slot. Now put the suspect dimmer into a location where there have been no problems, and if you get the same "Full output when sent low level command", it's 99.4% the SSR's fault. Though normally when they fail, they will either never turn on, or stay on at Full no matter what. CD80 SSR s are (relatively) inexpensive and easy to change.

https://www.controlbooth.com/threads/cross-reference-scr-in-cd80-pack.23241/

proxy.php

http://www.johnsonsystems.com/parts_support.htm

As to CD80's and CD80 AE's and non-dim modules; here're my memories of the dimmer and non-dim modules. In the dual modules, typically dual 2.4 K's, you could buy dual dimmers labelled as 'DD' modules, dual non-dims labelled as 'NN' modules, non-dim / dim modules labelled as 'ND' modules and dimmer / non-dim modules labelled as 'DN' modules. In the physically larger 6 KW and 12 KW modules you could purchase dimmer modules labelled as 'D' and/or non-dim modules labelled as 'ND'. The control cages, cards and wiring were different between the CD80's and CD80AE's but I believe the actual dimmer and non-dim modules were the same. This was not the case with the CD90's which employed totally different modules.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Funny. When I was on the phone with strand, they told me they never made non dims for the AE... perhaps there was in error of communication.

I have the 2.4kW DD modules, I need to take a visit to the JSI store anyways for replacement fans (one dead, one making shredding bearing noises, and one starting to make those noises) so I'll probably order some of the SSRs

Funny. When I was on the phone with strand, they told me they never made non dims for the AE... perhaps there was in error of communication.

I have the 2.4kW DD modules, I need to take a visit to the JSI store anyways for replacement fans (one dead, one making shredding bearing noises, and one starting to make those noises) so I'll probably order some of the SSRs
I can't lend enough support to Shaun Johnson. Shaun's company sells Strand retrofit modules built better than Strand ever did and he so often answers his own phone when you call. Good products from a good company staffed by good people. It must be something in the water there what with Shaun and Gray/Pathways Connectivity in the same town. I guess it's sort of true that Strand never made non-dim modules for the AE but what they failed to mention was that non-dim modules for the CD80 worked just fine in the CD80AE.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Aside from the fan assembly (@#$&+$#) I've found the construction to be rather easy for repair. Aside from placing the fan grille screws on the inside so that you have to pull the control assembly all the way out to get at them, the modules are easy to open up and yank the bad SSR, the only thing I need now is an SSR and thermal compound.

Side notes, the date codes show mine to be mfg in 1990, installed in 1993; one year after the AE was discontinued...

Is it me, or do the dimmer modules on the AE look much nicer than those things for the SV. The AE ones look much more aesthetically pleasing!

Aside from the fan assembly (@#$&+$#) I've found the construction to be rather easy for repair. Aside from placing the fan grille screws on the inside so that you have to pull the control assembly all the way out to get at them, the modules are easy to open up and yank the bad SSR, the only thing I need now is an SSR and thermal compound.

Side notes, the date codes show mine to be mfg in 1990, installed in 1993; one year after the AE was discontinued...

Is it me, or do the dimmer modules on the AE look much nicer than those things for the SV. The AE ones look much more aesthetically pleasing!
I hadn't noticed much difference in aesthetics when the modules are in the racks, powered, and in operation.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

the only thing I need now is an SSR and thermal compound.
A small tube of heat compound USED to be included with each SSR--that may longer be true. See also this and subsequent posts.

I agree, pre-SV modules are more aesthetic. I'm sure an effort to lower manufacturing costs due to competition was to blame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back