Old theatre lights CAN be useful.

Re: Multiple replies on radials.
I woulda noted them as 360 Radials, but I coulda sworn I saw a sticker on one that said "Century", or something besides Altman.

These might be Century's. Altman copied the design for the #360

I'm not certain, but I believe that even on the very first Altman's, the gel holder is rounded at the corners, where the Century gel frame slot goes right to the end. The Century might have a "Century" imprint on the handle, as well as the handle being more oval as compared to the diamond shaped Altman (can't tell from the photo), which is why the Altman wrench knock-off of the Bash and Century wrenches wouldn't work on a Century t-handle.

FWIW, I agree with ST having never heard the term "Radial" to describe what was simply an ellipsoidal. When the "Axial" was invented, the #360 simply became an "Incandescent".

Steve Bailey

Last edited by a moderator:
The old, first-gen 360Q's I have under my care have gel frame holders that are squared off and not rounded.

Just to add to the topic, I call them radials and axials. In general, for me, a "leko" is anything less than a Source 4, whereas as Source 4 is just that.

they are Altmans - come up regularly on ebay. The reason the lamp was mounted in the chimney is that with the old Tungsten lamp the tungsten boils of the filament and rises up into the neck of the lamp where it condebses on the glass and makes it black. This idea helps maintain the light output and the life of the lamp. Halogen lamps don't have this problem due to the presence of the halogen gas which prevents the Tungsten depositing on the glass (The formal explanation is called the halogen cycle).

they are Altmans - come up regularly on ebay. The reason the lamp was mounted in the chimney is that with the old Tungsten lamp the tungsten boils of the filament and rises up into the neck of the lamp where it condebses on the glass and makes it black. This idea helps maintain the light output and the life of the lamp. Halogen lamps don't have this problem due to the presence of the halogen gas which prevents the Tungsten depositing on the glass (The formal explanation is called the halogen cycle).

Actually one of them was the aforementioned "Century Copy", but it is out of frame. It so happens that that was the one instrument I looked at closely previously.

Actually one of them was the aforementioned "Century Copy", but it is out of frame. It so happens that that was the one instrument I looked at closely previously.

There's no such thing as a Century Copy. Century made the original. It was Altman, L&E, Major, Capitol etc... that copied from Century.

And a question. What is this sudden huge fascination with ancient gear amongst all the newbies ?. We old timers are seemingly and constantly having to remember the not-so-good-old days a whole lot these days.

Yes, I vividly remember that a T12 lamp burned base up , to allow the burned off tungsten to collect at the top of the base and prolong light output. I also remember having to change the bloody lamps all the friggin time due to short life. Not to mention crappy and inconsistent light output, unit-to-unit. I personally am perfectly happy using the "new" gear - like TH lamps, S4's, etc... (no pun intended).

Can't we talk about LED's for a change ?. Anybody else wonder if we are right at the cutting edge of the technology and maybe it's not quite ready for prime time ?

Yes, I'm cranky, note the time of the post and that I just sat at the console for 4-1/2 hrs. (no break - no intermission) for a Caribbean Comedy Festival where I did not understand the lingo or the humor, not to mention the Vidiots Sun-Gun in my eyes half the night, and am just now getting to bed at 3 AM, and have to return to work at 2:30 PM tomorrow for a Russian Comedy Play of some sorts (you now know as much as I do about the event).

Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

Steve I agree that we all should be looking at the future with topics like LED's and ACN. At the same time I think the old technology is great to learn about because we can learn a lot about lighting design and theory by looking at the good and bad of the old days. Secondly, there's a lot of that old crap lying around in closets out there and the young folks people are curious about it. No matter what, learning a little and developing a respect for those who lived through the "bad old days" is a good thing.

My image files are too large, and I can't figure out a way to size them down at school.

Suggestions welcome.

drop it in word :)

the picture bar there is a button called "reduce picture size"
you should be able to export it, paint then upload it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Steeve, if it makes you feel any better I couldn't care less about old lights, all I see them as are pains I might have to deal with one day.

There's no such thing as a Century Copy. Century made the original. It was Altman, L&E, Major, Capitol etc... that copied from Century.
And a question. What is this sudden huge fascination with ancient gear amongst all the newbies ?. We old timers are seemingly and constantly having to remember the not-so-good-old days a whole lot these days.
Yes, I vividly remember that a T12 lamp burned base up , to allow the burned off tungsten to collect at the top of the base and prolong light output. I also remember having to change the bloody lamps all the friggin time due to short life. Not to mention crappy and inconsistent light output, unit-to-unit. I personally am perfectly happy using the "new" gear - like TH lamps, S4's, etc... (no pun intended).
Can't we talk about LED's for a change ?. Anybody else wonder if we are right at the cutting edge of the technology and maybe it's not quite ready for prime time ?
Yes, I'm cranky, note the time of the post and that I just sat at the console for 4-1/2 hrs. (no break - no intermission) for a Caribbean Comedy Festival where I did not understand the lingo or the humor, not to mention the Vidiots Sun-Gun in my eyes half the night, and am just now getting to bed at 3 AM, and have to return to work at 2:30 PM tomorrow for a Russian Comedy Play of some sorts (you now know as much as I do about the event).
Steve Bailey
Brooklyn College

I agree.

While these fixtures are interesting, there are many books that describe their technology and history.

As for production in 2007, I have one word regarding these fixtures:

Dumpster.

(or, to be more global):

Skip.

But then, I'm just an old curmudgeon, along with Bailey.

:)

ST

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few old ones around. As long as they aren't getting in anyone's way or causing a safety concern what's the problem? I wouldn't personally use them on a regular basis, but to some people anything better than a parcan is excellent. I have actually been in the situation where I needed an ellipsoidal -- ANY ellipsoidal!!! Welcome to Community Theatre! LoL

Well, before you throw your old lights in a dumpster just send them to me! I'll even pay shipping. There, old lights off your hands and more crap in my basement. Worlds largest 360-360Q museum! I understand the whole "lets get over the past" thing, but I enjoy history and old lighting allows me to "know my roots". Learn from history or be doomed to repeate it. OH WAIT, you meant open trough striplights AREN'T a good idea? Besides, if we get rid of all the 12" Century Lekos, how will the kids like me appreciate the S4. Having that extra Leko or 6" Fresnel is always nice, and knowing how to use them makes you just that more versatile. That's my belief. You don't have to follow it, but thats why I fight for old lights.

BTW, if we're trying to save the world, those old lights should be recycled, not trashed.

And STEVETERRY, you just want us to trash our old lights and buy more Source 4. I see how it is....(just kidding around STEVE)

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a few old ones around. As long as they aren't getting in anyone's way or causing a safety concern what's the problem? I wouldn't personally use them on a regular basis, but to some people anything better than a

For a moment there I thought you might be talking about ST and I !.

SB

Have you hugged your Source 4 today?

Greenia, may I make that my signature? Please? :mrgreen:

Not bad, Derek! Although I have a couple redesign plans if I ever make my own, involving a cute colorful shade, a lamp inside and gel at the bottom of the same color as the shade so that way I [strike]burn the table[/strike] create a nice colorful glow from the bottom of the fixture.

And, since everyone else imagined what would happen if they brought this home:
Mom: Well, um, that's cute... It's going in your room, right? And does it take normal-edison-power?

Greenia, may I make that my signature? Please? :mrgreen:

Not bad, Derek! Although I have a couple redesign plans if I ever make my own, involving a cute colorful shade, a lamp inside and gel at the bottom of the same color as the shade so that way I [strike]burn the table[/strike] create a nice colorful glow from the bottom of the fixture.

And, since everyone else imagined what would happen if they brought this home:
Mom: Well, um, that's cute... It's going in your room, right? And does it take normal-edison-power?

Before long you'll be spec'ing your bedrooms to contain 400A three-phase wye camlock disconnects.

I believe her rider states she can go either Cam or Bare-End,:oops: as long as there are 3 hots. She also carries her own MMs and FFs.:rolleyes:

I believe her rider states she can go either Cam or Bare-End,:oops: as long as there are 3 hots. She also carries her own MMs and FFs.:rolleyes:
Derek You're spending too much time on IRC!:oops:

Derek You're spending too much time on IRC!:oops:

Oh my goodness.

You know about that?

I feel sorry for you.

Now I have to apologize on Derek's behalf for his slew of comments today.

P.S.
'Dip has inspired a new thread topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back