Old Union Connector 60A Female Panel Mount

ship

Senior Team Emeritus
Premium Member
I have a customer that says his 60A/125V stage pin flange mount receptacles have the same concept of spring clip retention clip as classic 20A with the despised spring retainer. Cannot imagine what such a spring clip will have looked like given the size of the receptacle. But its clearly discontinued thru Union, and even on off chance of Mole Richardson - them not having it either.

Customer says, doing modern screw mounted flanged receptacles won’t work in what he needs to replace. (I have some doubts about it not working short of photos why.)

Anyone seen a Union Connector 60A flange mount receptacle? Options for receptacle replacement? Theoretically if the brass sockets are the same design, and the 60A receptacle can be dissembled, a temporary fix could be just replacing the sockets. Certainly not 3D printer I would think to replace the bad panel mount plastic parts though.

Apparently over 75x 60A sockets the customer wants to replace.... that’s a big problem given his receptacles are discontinued. Options?

Customer sent me a photo of the receptacle today. That helped a lot, and perhaps answered some questions from him and I! Seems like almost the exact same spring clip as used on the classic (somewhat despised) Union Connector 20A Flange receptacle - only doubled up on each end of the receptacle to retain it. And a mounting flange in a different place. But the same concept and scale.

Assuming they re-used the spring tension device from a 20A receptacle on each end of the 60A, they possibly are using the same brass pin sockets designed for cord mount verses flange/panel mounted receptacles. That's good, between his stock and what I will be donating (I don't use Union these days), he will have at least sockets he can replace - short of a melt down or breakage. Assuming the receptacle can come apart, believe it does, he has replacement sockets.

Second it explains the customer next concern - should it melt down, now it would conduct to the mounting screws of the flange mount.

That gets complex, and No! But does expose a safety hazard expressed with customer given experience with the Union receptacle.

Voltage spike is normally too quick to melt plastic sufficient to melt enough to ground out. A loose set screw on the terminal male or female of especially a 60A plug/connector requires both the male and female to melt in carrying the current together to finally melt a plug and receptacle thru and ground out. Hard to do before something noticed - but depends on who might note a problem. Same with resistance from a pin not spreaded in loose connection not noted by the person plugging it in, resistance at plug will have a dim lamp. You have hopefully cable support and large wires preventing gravity allowing a short to frame, but can and appairently happens.

So mostly a systematic problem of if something melts thru... what else caused or is a problem in relation, but otherwise, yes female receptacles do wear out. Becoming loose hopefully is an indication before melt down.

As opposed to easily pulled up Marinco/Mole/TMB, and even what is currently sold by Union Connector = they are all bolt on and not spring clip.

Look at the photo and see how quickly in melting a melting of plastic can short to that spring clip. Pull up the diagrams of any 60A bolt on receptacle, and not that if 1/2 the diameter of a hole is as near as you can get to a opening or edge of a plate... a flowing with the plastic will ground out to the plate long before it shorts to a mounting screw also bonded to the plate mounted to.

The spring clip design of the old discontinued Union outlet.. It will first ground out to the spring clip which is somewhat high resistance steel to grounding out, and potentially be a time before failure with more damage.

Beyond this, Union - while in the antique days used to be a solid non-plastic type of connector cored out, the ones later are a more brittle cast plastic with problems in melting. Bates normal the same concept of a hollow cast connector which will melt down or break some - but in by far less percentage - perhaps better plastic used and better set screw to wire concept. Don't have to re-torque the cables every year, but pin spacing is a must in each time used with all cables.

Mole, TMB and Bates Group 2 all use a better, but more expensive old school non-plastic design for such plugs which cost a little more.

On the cable plugs, as per old school, you have to spend a little more time, get the strip length correct and use Friction tape for cord grip, which if applied correct will help reduce some bend stress at the plug of the wire. But the old school type plugs/receptacles/connectors seem to take heat better.

This granted they will char instead of melt.

A Nylon and Vinyl ring terminal have the same safe maximum operating temperature. Difference between them is the nylon will char but stay in place for the most part in becoming brittle. The Vinyl insulation will just melt away in no protection left.

Such plugs have that option, and I buy the above three brands of solid 60a gear. The Bates is fine in perhaps 1:100 melt downs, but in years ago having the same melting thru the plastic concerns as my customer, I went with the solid stuff. Never went back.

Attachments

• 60A flange.jpg
    60A flange.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 166

Users who are viewing this thread

Back