The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Old VL2000 not powering up

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by macsound, Jul 13, 2018.

1. macsound

macsound Member

Hey all
    I have some VL2000s that were packed away about 7 months as working but now I have one, so far, that isn't turning on.
    It seems like an old PSU, but want to confirm here.
    When I turn it on, theres a subtle click and one of the lights on the LCD flashes. When I first plugged it in, the click was quieter and the light flashed dimmer. Almost like one of the capacitors is dead and leaving it on for a few minutes is charging it.
    I've had issues like this on a computer power supply, but want to make sure it won't blow up if I leave it plugged in for an hour to see if it eventually turns on.

2. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

It probably won't blow up but it might smolder/smoke or spontaneously generate an assistant electrician....

You might want to give a call to Used lighting dot com and inquire about replacement PSUs....

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. macsound

macsound Member

So got an email about my inquiry from the company I originally purchased these VL2000s from and they said the power cable can sometimes be weird DEPENDING ON THE FIXTURE'S ORIENTATION.
    Caps part is what caught my eye.
    Is there a sensor for direction of installation that limits power? My understanding with these is they can be operated in any orientation, and if nothing else, sitting flat on a stage seems normal.

4. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

My direct experience with VL2000s is putting them in road cases... but I think the vendor is saying "the F*&#(!#@ power cable gets loose in certain positions."

RonHebbard and Les like this.
  5. Les

Les Well-Known Member Premium Member

I take it to mean that the power cable has some loose connections and may not make contact when oriented a certain way...

Edit: Posted concurrently with the above. Look in to the cable - both the connector and where it enters the fixture (on both sides of the strain relief/panel-mount connector if applicable). If it's dickey (technical term), you'll want to get that sorted as not only is it an annoyance, but a fire and shock hazard.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. macsound

macsound Member

Took off the covers last night and all the power cables seem normal. Ground is bolted down and +- connect to the transformer, then to the power switch.
    Even removed the power switch because the cable comes through the body underneath the switch, so I wanted to check that there isn't some twist or sever.
    The weird thing about this light is the PWR light flashes on the front panel once every 5 seconds and you can hear some electrical transformery noise. And when I powered it up with the cover off, you can see the fan do a wiggle concurrently with the PWR light flash.
    My feeling is that initial transformer (not the power supply) isn't happy.
    I guess I'll start forking together some parts from a working model to pinpoint the problem unless anyone else has an idea.

RonHebbard likes this.