On the cheap?

saxman0317

Alrighty folks...
Ive decided to branch out here latly. I do alot of mixng and DJing around here, most of my mixing on my own terms with the small garage bands and the like. Im looking for a cheap way to do a makeshift semi stationary spot...i dont do lights really, thats where my buddy comes into play, but im doing a pro bono job for one of my buddies to hopefully push him alittle farther into the scene (free advertising?).

What kind of fixture are you looking for exactly? Small followspot? Narrow beam par can?

Maybe if you explained what it will be used for, maybe that would help.

< semi stationary spot >

This statement leads me to believe he's looking for a followspot. The least expensive approach would be a used leko fitted with an iris and handle. You could probably find the components for a little over $ 100.00

I know when I've needed an extra followspot for a show, I'll grab either a ETC Source 4 or Altman 360Q. I prefer the S4 due to the iris, but the 360Q works too. We actually have an old followspot stand we found and just mounted it to that...with a little luck :) City Theatrical sells handles for S4 lights for a reasonable price so that might be an option (Part # 1360 @ $43.00ea.) This might be an option if you have access to some of these lights. If not check Ebay for them..they can usually be found cheep.

Well...heres the thing. i dont have an exact use for it yet, mostly as a spot that is easily moved during a show, and im thinking more along the lines of Home Depot since its only for one of my high school buddies basements... I figured id do the guy a favor, and sincei really dont do lights, im just looking for basically a BS set up, which is someplace im not used to coming from, so i was wondering if anyone had any favorites, like a certain flood light from home Depot, or acertan floor lamp from Kohls?

For basement usage you could use a 200w Par 46 fixture loaded with a narrow lamp. It's light enough to mount to a camera tripod.

proxy.php

Around $ 30.00

Get a cheap clamp lamp, put a par38 spot bulb in it (make sure that it's fitting with the rated wattage & that the bulb will fit in the fixture), and mount it on a tripod. Pop an inline lamp dimmer in if necessary.

Works great. I've done it before.

That's what I'm talkin' about. It can be easily adapted to clamp on to a tripod if necessary. That's what i used. And if you do get a PAR38 reflector bulb, you can pick spot or flood bulb, and you can sometimes even get colored bulbs at Lowe's.

In the Rhodes Club in Grahamstown for the festival last year the venue technicians used a CP-60 in a stubby 64 (that's 'short'). Distance wasn't far (10 - 15m think), beam was angled vertically and the only problem was not burning the op's hands- they bought some cheap oven gloves from somewhere, and had him use one of the two yokes on the thing as a handle.
Give that a shot.
I don't think a par 46 or 38 is going to give you enough power to call it a followspot- it'll be washed out by the glow from someone's cigarette or something! :)

Since the poster is using this in a basement, unless he lives in a castle the distance can't be too far.

A Par 46 with a 200par/3nsp lamp will deliver a 3' x 4' oval and 325 fc at a distance of 15'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back