One More Reason Not To Buy Behringer

So does this mean that we will now see even cheaper units hit the marked with lower quality components and little (if any) quality control (a good way to cut costs is to remove quality control) so that they can pay their fine and still retain a market share?

Gee, why am I not surprised one bit? What the FCC really needs to do is request an injunction against Behringer to prevent them from selling their products in the US, period. Then again, IANAL, I are an engineer. But something needs to be done. I'll step off of my soapbox now.

mbenonis said:
What the FCC really needs to do is request an injunction against Behringer to prevent them from selling their products in the US, period

Why? Behringer does have some good products.

Trouble is that in many cases the products are made off shore, where the labour is cheaper. Well, a lot of the time you can actually get them to produce the same products for you, with your brand name on them.

They cost you the same but you can then afford to sell them cheaper, as you do not have the R&D costs to try and recoup. After the cost of the unit and shipping are covered, the rest is profit!

Also - who said that a million was nothing? PM me for my postal address and I will gladly accept a bank cheque for 1 million :)

Last edited:
AVGuyAndy said:
Why? Behringer does have some good products.
Yes they do have some good products like guitar amps and that genius battery field mixer you see everywhere, but they also make some almost outright copies of patented and trademarked products )witness the Xenyx mentioned earlier.)

From my understanding of patents and infringements of said patents shouldn't the FTC(Federal Trade Commission) rather that the FCC(Federal Communcations Commission)be handling the situation?

The FCC is fining them because several of their products are not FCC certified, not because of copyright infringement.

Behringers history of copyright infringement and the stealing of intellectual property is well known and indisputable.

This is just another example of Behringers perchant for cutting corners to maximize profit.

avkid said:
Yes they do have some good products like guitar amps and that genius battery field mixer you see everywhere, but they also make some almost outright copies of patented and trademarked products )witness the Xenyx mentioned earlier.)

Actually, if you're talking about the model that takes a couple 9V batteries and saves space by putting the channel fader next to rotary pots for the auxes (or is it the EQ knobs? can't remember of the top of my head), that's not an original. It's a copy of a Peavey design.

soundlight said:
And while we're on the topic of Behringer, they might have Mackie breathing down their neck again soon...Behri's new preamps are called "XENYX", comparable in name to the "ONYX" preamps of Mackie.
http://www.behringer.com/XENYX-SERIES/index.cfm?lang=ENG

It's not the first time Behringer ripped off a design from Mackie. Look at a lot of their older small mixers, almost everything looks the same. A while back Mackie sued Behringer over the same issue. Behringer made a copy of the Mackie 8-Bus series years ago, and it was a little too much like the Mackie. Mackie won, and Behringer was forced to stop production of their version of the 8-Bus. I wouldn't be surprised if we see another lawsuit from Mackie here in the near future.

I've heard that Behringer even duplicates the user manuals, so well in fact that in some cases they even included the original manufacturer's contact information. However, I have never seen this for myself so I can't say for sure whether this is true or not.

mbenonis said:
I've heard that Behringer even duplicates the user manuals, so well in fact that in some cases they even included the original manufacturer's contact information. However, I have never seen this for myself so I can't say for sure whether this is true or not.

If Behringer were smart, they would include the original manufacturers warranty card as well. Just think how much money they could save.

No R&D costs, no writers to create manuals and no warranty costs either, boy they will rake it in. Wonder if it is too late to buy shares!

I have used alot of there products and all of them have been great. There also alot cheaper than other companies. o wel i dont hold a grudge against them.

only my opinion

BillESC said:
Here's a link to the entire FCC document, it makes for interesting reading. The affected models are on the last two pages.

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-13A1.pdf

Wow that was fun reading!! I have to agree that they are running a massive knock off operation... I also have to admit purchasing some of their products. No it's not the best stuff out there but when you are running a High School theater on $600 a year you have to make do with what you can.

I'm not sure where I read this, but apparently Behringer got sued by a company (Roland?) for blatantly copying a guitar pedal. The company proved that Behringer stole the product because Behringer copied a flaw in the circuit board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back