Onstage Grill "Flare-up"

JC Bardzil

In our upcoming production of Tar Beach by Tammy Ryan, there is a moment in which a grill is supposed to flare up on stage (described as "a huge plume of fire").
Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this w/o any pyro? I think that trying to mount a hazer or fogger in the grill will be too large and wont output fast enough to read as a "plume".
Thoughts?

Several things spring into mind.
CO2 fire extinguisher
One or more "Fog in a Can"
I would also consider something like the Chauvet Geyser, with flashing red and amber leds for a flame effect to go with the smoke cloud.

A CO2 fire extinguisher and some little LEDs "flashing" could do a decent job if the noise could be covered and some way to conceal it. Also consider a "puff" of something like flour or cornstarch - using a bladder or some air bag like device - and just step on it - a lot of air quickly - and lighting.

I second smoke in a can. That was the only way our AHJ would allow it on a production I did in Phoenix. Same idea. light from inside of grill. we rigged a trigger so that we could preifill the grill just before opening the lid for a bigger effect.

In middle school I made a video for a class project that involved filling a grill with tissue paper doused in lighter fluid and lighting it. I do NOT recommend this method. But it was fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back