Oops

BillESC

outlet.jpg

🤦🏼‍♂️

Used to on an an install have a crew of Polish immagrant electricians that would turn off a circuit by way of shorting it. They also thoroughly mis-wired 120v for 208v too frequently on Edison Outlets. Here I had hand drafted up this entire electrical plan for wiring with balanced loading.... left finding out what they did.

Used to on an an install have a crew of Polish immagrant electricians that would turn off a circuit by way of shorting it. They also thoroughly mis-wired 120v for 208v too frequently on Edison Outlets. Here I had hand drafted up this entire electrical plan for wiring with balanced loading.... left finding out what they did.
Such a brilliant step saving technique. My childhood best friend's grandpa was an inventor, and he tested light sockets by sticking his thumb into them. Of course, he's dead now ... he must have had really dry skin or a fried nervous system...

In question of code, though in doing so I thought specific NEC code now..

If a kid's butter knife or some form of wall plate slides down the wall, isn't it better to have the ground up - reverse of the photo? Neutral concuctor best up over the hot one if horizontal?

Thought this was NEC policy for good reason but only somewhat seen for new work. Standard I go by.

I’ve yet to meet a licensed electrician who knows which way the ground is supposed to go, up or down. I think it’s just personal preference.

In question of code, though in doing so I thought specific NEC code now..

If a kid's butter knife or some form of wall plate slides down the wall, isn't it better to have the ground up - reverse of the photo? Neutral concuctor best up over the hot one if horizontal?

Thought this was NEC policy for good reason but only somewhat seen for new work. Standard I go by.
For what it is worth, I read somewhere on the internet that it is code in California for the ground to be up, the reason given was if there was a desk against a wall, a paperclip could slip down and make a connection if the plug wasn't fully pushed in.

EDIT: Let's see what google sez---
Outletsnip1.PNG

Outletsnip2.PNG

Outletsnip3.PNG

Last edited:
I concur with John's research that there is not a national standard. I do prefer ground up or neutral up if horizontal and doubt the longer ground pin is likely to loose contact but mostly appreciate an electrician who is consistent.

I concur with John's research that there is not a national standard. I do prefer ground up or neutral up if horizontal and doubt the longer ground pin is likely to loose contact but mostly appreciate an electrician who is consistent.
During my IBEW Installation and maintenance apprenticeship, every time I was on a decent size project, a community college and two hospitals for example, when it came time for finishing, installing the new, architectural grade, switches and receptacles, the standard for the building would be hammered into our heads and CONSISTENCY was insisted upon throughout an entire project, from 3rd level basement to 11th floor, attic and HVAC penthouses.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

it seems most GFCIs from 5+ years ago had the legend oriented so the ground pin went down. More recently, they are printed "neutrally" so you have to turn your head 90 degrees - would read naturally only if the single gang box was installed in landscape orientation. Our entire house is ground under, tho. Now there's a shelter in place project, no? Jay, too bad I can't invite you over to help! I've thought having a cup of coffee with you would be entertaining and enlightening for a long time now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back