Open DMX software vs closed

SeanR

Hey guys, I got my hands on an adapter for a closed dmx to usb adapter. How is this going to effect what software I can run the show with?

Ok let me edit this. First as is probably already apparent, I don't have a ton of knowledge about DMX. Someone is loaning me their dongle but says that it can only be used on a closed dmx. The one he currently uses is open and for his open dmx.

Can someone explain why the dmx being closed or open effect what software I use?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I got my hands on an adapter for a closed dmx to usb adapter. How is this going to effect what software I can run the show with?

Ok let me edit this. First as is probably already apparent, I don't have a ton of knowledge about DMX. Someone is loaning me their dongle but says that it can only be used on a closed dmx. The one he currently uses is open and for his open dmx.

Can someone explain why the dmx being closed or open effect what software I use?
Are you talking about an open source DMX dongle? If that's the case, there are a number of software choices. The Enttec Open USB dongle is an example of an open source dongle. The Enttec USB DMX Pro is an example of a dongle that is not open source, but can be used with many different software packages. Other DMX dongles are proprietary, meaning that they can only be used with a certain software package.
The DMX protocol remains the same on all types of USB/DMX systems and all will communicate with your dimmers or other DMX toys. The difference is that a proprietary dongle will only communicate with one specific control program.

Thanks to both of you. Derek, it just occurred to me that by editing my original post you might not have noticed. I apologize for the hectic and vague original post. It was four hours before show time. Generally I wouldn't even think about making a change at that point but the board we have doesn't always respond to button pushes, and tends to loose power when bumped.

It also leaves ALOT to be desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back