Opening Night Crisis

Misha

I was doing a production of Urinetown and it was opening night...we were all excited...about 5 mins before the places call one of the ushers comes into the green room (which is where all the tech's were...the actors were in the dressing rooms) and tell us all he needs pillows...we all kinda look at him funny and he says "some old lady fell down the stairs and says she broke her hip" great...so we delay the show 15 mins so she can get out of the theatre and get to the hospital..

intermission comes...i have to move some stuff offstage...and i have to revolve the well...revolve..we had scfolding on the revolve and one off the revolve...as it is going around the staris on the revolve catch on the scf. off the revolve and crack...so im doing that...intermission get delayed ...

durring the show we lost signal for 6 of the wireless mics...someone tapped theirs really loudly, almost breaking it. the band moniters stop working and many other things

to top off my long story...the lady is now sueing our theatre...

Well, if there was a reason that the fall occurred (no railings, slippery surface, etc...) then the suit is valid, if not then its not. Anytime any injury occurs that cost alot to repair, pain and suffering... etc the insurance company of the injured almost always pushes for a lawsuit. Better make sure your building was up to code, and if it wasn't, then the facility is liable. This is also why liability insurance is carried.

it most likely will...we just have stupid old people who fall down stairs!

Don't forget, one of the reasons that most regional theatre are around is old people. Can't tell you how many shows I have done where the theatre is filled with red hats, or full of old people that just got off a tour bus. Old people buy and keep buying subscriptions, and if they really like the theatre there is always the possibility of an estate....

Don't forget, one of the reasons that most regional theatre are around is old people. Can't tell you how many shows I have done where the theatre is filled with red hats, or full of old people that just got off a tour bus. Old people buy and keep buying subscriptions, and if they really like the theatre there is always the possibility of an estate....

Sunday matinee', There's nothing like looing out of the booth window and seeing a "sea of blue". Sometimes it's a "sea of grey".

never in my life have i seen a person under 50 in the audience of a sunday matinee...this is includes when i was acting when i was a kid, so this covers quite a span of years...

thats surpising...we got so many younger people...about 3/4 of the audience...

and our sunday mat. was full of youngins....mostly family and friends...hardly any older people

thats surpising...we got so many younger people...about 3/4 of the audience...

and our sunday mat. was full of youngins....mostly family and friends...hardly any older people

Is this at school ? If so that's why. In Pro theatre, and community theatre, your sunday matinee's are invariably over 65 on average. Sometimes it seems they're over 90 on average.

It seems like the average Sunday Matinee age is deceased.

Hahaha...funny icewolf.

At our community theatre we've had to hold house a little bit on matinees to let all the old people sit down--literally.

Nothing like the old people though-they support theatre so much it's crazy. Those subscriptions and donations are what practically makes theatre in some of our venues here.

Our summer repertory theatre audience here is always, literally, 99% elderly people. It is kept alive by the old folks. Which is a scary thought when one realizes those people won't be around forever. The younger kids just don't care about theatre and we can't seem to get them to care. :(
(The audience during our school year season is always students from the Creative Arts class who are forced to come to the shows and write a paper on them, and spend the whole time sleeping or texting on their phones. :evil: )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back