Operating System Switch

Hi, Forum

I know this isn't exactly a tech-related question, but our soundboard (iLive-144, I believe) has 5 Linux processors installed in it. From what I have heard, Linux is the best operating system, by far. What I'm wondering: Would you recommend installing Ubuntu (latest version) onto my HP G74 laptop? It runs on an i3 processor with approximately 4gb of RAM. Let me know what you think!

Linux is fun to play with and learn more about computers with, but you'll find that you spend more time trying to get it to do what you want than actually doing what you want. I used a variety of linux distributions for a long time, but I've since switched to a mac, and it's just much easier. You can setup your computer to "dual boot" pretty easily, so you can play with it but still have windows to return to, and I'd reccomend doing that first, rather than making the switch blindly.

Linux is fun to play with and learn more about computers with, but you'll find that you spend more time trying to get it to do what you want than actually doing what you want. I used a variety of linux distributions for a long time, but I've since switched to a mac, and it's just much easier. You can setup your computer to "dual boot" pretty easily, so you can play with it but still have windows to return to, and I'd reccomend doing that first, rather than making the switch blindly.
Thank you, now I just need to know how to dual boot!

Why do you think you'll benefit by using the same OS as the sound console control surface?

Why do you think you'll benefit by using the same OS as the sound console control surface?

The sound board Linux is going to be a very compact distribution designed to run specifically on it. Small "Embedded" versions of Linux and Windows are used in many devices like cable boxes, light boards, marine GPS, etc. Strand boards have Windows Embedded and show a small portion of the Windows GUI, and ETC boards hide it very well.

Just using Linux because your sound board is based on it isn't a valid reason.

Hi, Forum

I know this isn't exactly a tech-related question, but our soundboard (iLive-144, I believe) has 5 Linux processors installed in it. From what I have heard, Linux is the best operating system, by far. What I'm wondering: Would you recommend installing Ubuntu (latest version) onto my HP G74 laptop? It runs on an i3 processor with approximately 4gb of RAM. Let me know what you think!

Also, There is no such thing as an operating system specific CPU (apart from the old mac machines, but that was more of a bios based issue than a processor issue). Ubuntu is also the easiest to work with linux distro's and is good for getting your feet wet. But I echo the thoughts on switching operating systems based on the sound console runs. If that was the case I'd be running DOS.

Just using Linux because your sound board is based on it isn't a valid reason.
Especially since there is no clear relationship between the two, in fact I don't actually see this being sound related. I would guess that most of the time the OS is selected based on what programs or apps you want to run and what OS they require.

Especially since there is no clear relationship between the two, in fact I don't actually see this being sound related. I would guess that most of the time the OS is selected based on what programs or apps you want to run and what OS they require.

One major driver for the primacy of Linux is cost. Free is a good price. Especially if you are developing apps and expect to sell a lot, or are in an enterprise environment that need a large number ( thousands to hundreds of thousand) servers.

I agree that this has nothing to do with sound, but I also think learning linux is a good thing and worth doing if you have the time and desire! Very few apps are "sold" for linux though.

I agree Linux is worth the time.
My laptop went down a while back and I was running vista on it. I was told my hard drive is lost. But I have computer savy friend and he installed linux and he got my laptop up and running again in half an hour with no loss files.

That sounds much more like incompetence on the part of the people you took it to to repair it than any benefit of linux.

I believe their support business model centers on making you so frustrated you just give up and go buy a new one from them.

Please please PLEASE tell me what a "Linux Processor" is, and how on earth you get five from the iLive system? There's one linux, x86 based computer in your surface, and it runs the touchscreen. The Mixrack is a DSP, and the surface computer is ARM I believe.

And yes, Linux, Unix, or BSD are the best choices for self-contained systems. However the Windows and Mac ecosystems are just so much larger. Windows Embedded (Venue, any ETC console) is almost impossible to work with unless you are compiling your programs specifically for that environment.

There's a reason Macs are the standard for workstation computers, yes they're not as compatible as windows, but a heck of a lot more stable. WMD can't support aggregate audio devices, and ASIO is a pain to code for.

I wasn't planning to use Linux based on the fact that the soundboard runs on it. I was going to use it based on feedback from friends who have used it. I tried Linux out, and it ended up crashing my computer, causing me to have to do a full recovery.

I've never used Linux, but it has its very loyal followers, even more so than Mac-ites. I like the idea of open source, having many open source software myself. I've always wanted to install it onto one of my machines to dual boot into, just never got a chance to do so. I run Windows XP on my Macbook Pro via Bootcamp, so why not put Linux on my PC running Vista? :)

I HIGHLY doubt the OS in and of itself crashed your computer. You either did something wrong installing it, got a corrupt file, or something else is going on. Unless you have a solid reason in switching operating systems just stick with what already works for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back