Opinions on Platinum Spot 5R Pro

Enfield

Hi all,

My church is looking to buy some moving lights. Based on our budget I've been looking at the Platinum Pro's, however I keep reading different opinions on them. some say good while others say they are bad.

What is the opinion on them here?

Thanks

I had one of my long Platinum Spot rants all ready here but I decided to keep it shorter. Manufacturing defects are rampant in Platinum Spots. I've had 4 out of 7 bad out of box fixtures once, and I've seen a color mixing module eat itself (metal bits chewing up the dichroic glass) due to poor manufacturing tolerances. Also beware of the optical system, it's horrible. You can't properly soft-focus gobos. You can't run the iris with a gobo. If you get a demo of the fixture (as you should) you'll see what I mean. The beam develops severe scalloping when you try to soft-focus even on an open beam (not even with a gobo in). The iris allows a matrix of dim dots through when it's used out of focus. I've explained my frustrations with these fixtures many other times, so you'll probably come across some longer-form rants elsewhere on CB from me & from others.

I would recommend you take a look at the new Rogue series from Chauvet Professional. There are LED based spots and Osram Sirius Lamp based beam fixtures (2 of each). These are full featured fixtures and are budget conscious.

Series » Rogue™ | CHAUVET® Lighting

-Ben Dickmann
Product Manager
Chauvet Professional

I have to agree with Ben. I'm not familiar with the Elation fixtures, so can't speak to them either way-- but I've seen these Chauvet fixtures a few times now at their HQ and at tradeshows such as Pro Light & Sound and USITT, and the R1 Beam and the R2 Beam fixtures are REALLY impressive.

Take a look for yourself--
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
&
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Before we start recommending products without the key components of color mixing and zoom (which make Platinum Spot 5R Pro units sell, much to my chagrin), what's the application? Throw distance? Any necessary features of the 5R Pros that you're looking for? Would you be willing to consider used? There are a lot of options out there, new and used, and I'm sure we can find something that fits your budget with the necessary features.

That being said, I would recommend you take a look at the Chauvet Rogue R2 spot, that thing looks pretty sweet. Now if only they could get our distributor a demo, I could give an actual opinion on it.

@soundlight, the R2 Spot is in stock and shipping, I just walked past several dozen leaving our shipping dock. I don't know any reason why your distributor would have any issues getting a demo. PM me the details on them if you like and I'll look into it.

Awesome, thanks. I asked a few weeks ago, so he may have gotten one by now. Another fixture to look at here would be the Legend SR 330 spot if you need CMY and Zoom - another fixture that I'm eagerly waiting to demo. Are these available yet? I've heard of significant delays on this one.

Isn't the 5R a beam fixture? Is that something that would fit in your church (showing how long it's been since I was in a church)? A friend is an Elation and Chauvet dealer, and he just bot a bunch of 5R. Says they're way more powerful than the 2R. I don't know that he has a long-term, in use opinion of them, but based on some of the events he does I would say he likes them.

There are multiple versions of Platinum 5R Beams as well as Platinum 5R Spots. The 5R is referencing the lamp - the Philips MSD Platinum 5R.

@soundlight, the Legend 330SR Spot is expected in our warehouse any day. There are several dozen demo fixtures around the country, but a stocking order should arrive any day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back