Opp vs Op

• Total voters
So in constant pursuit of the perfect Tech Rider, me and my assistant are trying to clarify our crew requests. She redlined my usage of "Lighting Opp" proclaiming the correct usage would be "Op". Though I agree grammatically, I feel the industry standard points to "Opp". Can the community help weigh in on this?

So in constant pursuit of the perfect Tech Rider, me and my assistant are trying to clarify our crew requests. She redlined my usage of "Lighting Opp" proclaiming the correct usage would be "Op". Though I agree grammatically, I feel the industry standard points to "Opp". Can the community help weigh in on this?
Now you've started something.
First of all, "me and my assistant" would be 'My assistant and I'.
As to op and opp, I'd like to add op' to your options. Op' as in utilizing the apostrophe to indicate an abbreviation with missing letters. Kind of like when are not is abbreviated to aren't or is not is abbreviated to isn't.
Where's Dr. Andy Peters who used to haunt the Live Audio Board decades ago, hammering posters for their spelling and grammar? Don't worry, Dave Stauss (Sp?) will be here to whip me shortly and I WILL enjoy it.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Also never seen "Opp" before, always Op. Where'd you get Opp from? Someone else's rider?

Opp to me is an abbreviation of Opposite, as in Opp Prompt.
Never for operator in my experience

Never seen "opp" either. Unless of course you are using a lighting opportunist. Or oppressor (though generally reserved for director).

Opp to me is an abbreviation of Opposite, as in Opp Prompt.
Never for operator in my experience
Not terms we normally hear / see up here on the top side of our planet. However I can recall show's loading into Hamilton which were touring from England with their flats tagged for PS or OP. They were normally touring with a skeleton crew hiring on 'brothers' at every venue. Typically their load in would be directed by their SM or Production Manager and we were told PS = Prompt Side and OP = Opposite Prompt. I can NOT recall ever seeing it written as OPP; only PS or OP. Possibly they were simply conserving on Sharpie ink?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Just use operator in a legal document and be confident. Why introduce the issue at all? My vote is none of the above.

Not terms we normally hear / see up here on the top side of our planet. However I can recall show's loading into Hamilton which were touring from England with their flats tagged for PS or OP. They were normally touring with a skeleton crew hiring on 'brothers' at every venue. Typically their load in would be directed by their SM or Production Manager and we were told PS = Prompt Side and OP = Opposite Prompt. I can NOT recall ever seeing it written as OPP; only PS or OP. Possibly they were simply conserving on Sharpie ink?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Oh yeah, PS or OP
But Opp can be somewhat recognised as opposite, eg in the corridor, opp dressing room 1 is where you can find a fire extinguisher as a random made up example...

I deal with industrial sales on a day to day basis. I see "Opp" as an abbreviation for "Opportunity." In slang and jargon, I see "Op" as "operator," but I am with @BillConnerFASTC, in a legal document or a job posting spell it out and avoid the confusion.

Not to be confused by the meaning of Op here. (Original Poster) ;)

What you think and what is are two different things. It is akin to Swop vs Swap. Swop is very Euro and was used on a console or two in the late 80's/90's. Swop, Stop, Crop, Prop... seems logical. But everyone uses SWAP. Trap, Lap, Crap... doesn't make sense, but there it is.

Enjoy.

Since there MIGHT be some confusion over opp or op or whatever, just write OPERATOR?

Too few recognise that a rider is a legal document and part of the contract that makes an event possible. That's no place for abbreviations, slang or jargon!

The operator was the original poster sitting off prompt on the opposite side opining about the opening operation.
OR
The opp was the op sitting op on the opp side opining about the opening op.

The operator was the original poster sitting off prompt on the opposite side opining about the opening operation.
OR
The opp was the op sitting op on the opp side opining about the opening op.
Oh pee! Oh poo! Enough of this peeing around!!
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard. (Old Phool)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back