Opposite of duct tape

It has to be WD40

The only thing that we use goof-off for in the shop is for erasing sharpie writing on road case labels that have been taped on with really wide packaging tape or removing said really wide packaging tape (and the resulting residue) from the cases themselves when a label rips and has to be replaced.

Duct tape sticks to itself and is difficult to peel apart, so something that inherently repels itself... Magnets?

[Your story reminds me of "Witch-B-Gone" the LD at my school had found, and refused to tell anyone what the can actually was. I think someone pointed it out the can's colors peeked out the top of the label and looked like WD40, but I don't know if it was confirmed. Tangent over.]

WD-40, it's got to be by far one of the most effective adhesive residue removers in the world, and much safer on most surfaces than Goof-Off.

The only thing I've found that gets duct tape (or any kind of tape) residue completely off plastic without mucking it up is Whiteboard Cleaner. Just don't use it in a non-ventilated space, as you have to apply it and then let it sit for a minute.

Its a can full of butaine for burning anyone who dares to use duct tape for anything but ducts :)

Several tests have been conducted, and the ONLY thing duct tape does NOT work on is ducts. On A/C ducts, the tape gets wet when moisture condenses on it, the glue gets wet and the tape slides off. On heating ducts, the glue dries out, powderizes, and the tape falls off..... :mrgreen:

The only thing I've found that gets duct tape (or any kind of tape) residue completely off plastic without mucking it up is Whiteboard Cleaner. Just don't use it in a non-ventilated space, as you have to apply it and then let it sit for a minute.
From the MSDS for the product referenced "CONTAINS: 2-BUTOXYETHANOL, ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL". Pretty expensive for paint thinner and rubbing alcohol.

My favorite overpriced solvent is Liquid Nails® Adhesive & Caulk Remover.
proxy.php

It's a gel, so stays put without evaporation, and will remove almost anything. Its MSDS, http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/msds/103697.pdf, lists all sorts of scary ingredients. Use only in a well-ventilated location, and wear all applicable PPE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back