Conventional Fixtures Opti QA Par or Tri Par

Kat2

The Performing Arts Center I work at is looking into purchasing new LED fixtures instead of color scrollers and pars. What we have priced out that we can afford are the Elation Opti QA Par , and the Opti Tri Par. Does anyone have any experience with these fixtures in a conventional procenium house? Looking for any advice, pro's, con's or alternates. Our budget is relatively small, so many of the better LED options are off the table.

We have been happy with our two, count'em 2, Opti Quad Pars. We picked these up a couple years ago. This is a 585 seat Proscenium house. Like most leds they still pop on and off from zero - not smoothly dimming in or out. Maybe that matters to you, maybe not. I can usually smooth these with snazzy timings controlling the pop within the overall cue progress. A 20 unit 'pop' would get problematic for us.

For mainstream theatre use, I wanted the RGBW for color selection. Going RGB would have netted me a third one, but the color trumped that. It looks like the Opti QA is RGBA. They appear to be about the same price range as ours. Different from the 'W' but still offering flexibility for color. It all depends on application. A different context might be great with RGB - and more of them.

For the same kind of money you can get Blizzards new ProPar V12 that offers twelve 15w five in one diodes giving you RGBAW color mixing. It also features smooth 0 to 100% dimming.

I put some Opti QA Pars in a church just before Christmas.

They seems to dim very well and have a good color range for the price. Their job is to provide some color effects on the scenery with conventional front wash. The throw is about 25' so we opted to skip diffusion.

The church folks are very happy, but new to LEDs. I was hoping to get some photos, but nothing yet.

It seems to be a problem getting long term data on LEDs because there is always something new that is better than the old stuff!

The Performing Arts Center I work at is looking into purchasing new LED fixtures instead of color scrollers and pars. What we have priced out that we can afford are the Elation Opti QA Par , and the Opti Tri Par. Does anyone have any experience with these fixtures in a conventional procenium house? Looking for any advice, pro's, con's or alternates. Our budget is relatively small, so many of the better LED options are off the table.

Apollo's HP5 uses five color emitters RGBAW for smooth color mixing and is fanless for silence in theater. With an MSRP of $715, these have met a number of tight budgets. Apollo Design | Multiform HP5-70 IP20

HP5.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back