Opto splitter ?

chawalang

So as i continue to work and try to find new ways to set up a system one thing i have never really used much of is opto splitters, mainly ive just used dmx straight out of the console or networked through a switch with various nodes. my question is if I was to use an opoto out of my console how does it work for the patch. Obviously the idea is that you run a universe out and it runs from universe A for example to a series of moving lights, dimmer rack, leds etc. That universe is obviously patched for whats in the chain, when you add an opto i understand how it can best the signal after a certain length but how does it work in the patch as there is i in and 6 out and usually the outs are going to different devices. trying to understand how this all works since it seems like a less expensive/ efficient way to utilize information out of the console.

It is a splitter so all of the information that goes into the splitter gets repeated out through all of the outputs. The reason they are called opto splitters is that the input and all outputs are opto isolated from each other and each circuit for the input and splits are powered individually from a dedicated power supply inside the unit. If you get a power surge or some type of bad data sent up an output it will not effect the other outputs on the splitter. There are certain units out on the market that will allow you to program in advanced functions such as splitting and merging different universes.

The opto splitter is an invisible device on the network. It has no impact whatsoever on the patch. It takes what it receives from the console and retransmits it on several outbound lines. It doesn't even know it is receiving and retransmitting DMX signals.

If we consider the analogy that DMX is like someone shouting out values and that it's up to the people who receive them to use or ignore them as relevant, then one can consider an opto splitter as being a bit like an audio system. Instead of only 32 "people" being able to receive the signal, you've now got 32 people in each room (opto output), and each one of those has it's own speaker and so one of the receivers starting to shout over the top of the master (ie nosie or a malfunctioning instrument) doesn't affect the receivers in the other room, because they are still hearing what comes from the speaker...

So in terms of the "payload" that the DMX carries, it should be the same at each output as it is at the input, no changes there, the same universe that comes in goes out unchanged.

Fundamentally an opto splitter is helpful when:
- You need >~30 DMX devices on a run
- You have long cable runs and so splitting it into shorter runs is helpful
- When you want to minimise the "fallout area" caused by an error in the DMX chain
- When you need to star wire DMX
- Other circumstances as needed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back