Orange Hot Iron

Zech

Working on a blacksmith scene. Am trying to make a piece of 'iron' look like it is hot and glowing.

Shove a black one into the forge pull out a orange one. Same with cooling it down drop a orange one with dry ice taped to it pull out a black one.

Last edited:
If you want to go crazy and you have a budget; get a piece of Acrylic rod. Sand it or cut it square. Shove a high color orange LED in the end and paint the non glowing part Black. You can drop some acetone or other solvent in small spots to create clear areas that will glow a brighter color. I got the original inspiration to build something like this for a cosplay bit from the movie Dragon Slayer. I used it for the hilt of Sting for The Hobbit once too.

You could do this by just putting a piece of acrylic on the end of a piece of PVC that way you can hide all the battery, driver and LED's in the end of the PVC pipe.

If you want to go crazy and you have a budget; get a piece of Acrylic rod. Sand it or cut it square. Shove a high color orange LED in the end and paint the non glowing part Black. You can drop some acetone or other solvent in small spots to create clear areas that will glow a brighter color. I got the original inspiration to build something like this for a cosplay bit from the movie Dragon Slayer. I used it for the hilt of Sting for The Hobbit once too.

You could do this by just putting a piece of acrylic on the end of a piece of PVC that way you can hide all the battery, driver and LED's in the end of the PVC pipe.
Thank you! Great idea. This is something like I was thinking of doing. Suggestions on what you mean by a high color orange LED. (Very new to this kind of thing)

Thank you! Great idea. This is something like I was thinking of doing. Suggestions on what you mean by a high color orange LED. (Very new to this kind of thing)
Sorry, I'm old. What we used to call a Hi-Brite but I guess now days just about any RBG COB LED would work. Let me find a link to something...
Maybe something like this:
super bright LEDs

Orange is a particularly challenging color to achieve with RGB leds. A mix of red and amber will do a better job.
Consider controlling it with an RC4 wireless dimmer for live control from your DMX console.
Thank you, I may try an actual orange LED and then white LED with a different mix a gels to see what happens.

Reactions: Van
Thank you, I may try an actual orange LED and then white LED with a different mix a gels to see what happens.
Now, if you want to go really old school I can set you up with a Coal forge and some steel stock but... that's not a good idea on stage. ;)
:D:oops::rolleyes::naughty:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back