Organic Scenery

CLEFFEL

I'm working with my wife and her high school theatre department to build Peter Pan.

I consider myself a decent carpenter, when it comes to walls, doors, windows, platforms etc, but I really struggle when it comes to building a more organic set...you know....with lines that are not straight.

I'm looking for tips, tricks, tutorials, etc on building an organic set, multiple levels, rocky type transitions between the levels, etc. I figured we could use papier mache between the levels, but what if we want the actors to be able to walk on the transitions?

I hope that's clear. Thank you in advance!

In my opinion, the actors should only be walking on smooth, parallel surfaces with straight lines, so I would build as you do typically, and "decorate" using paper mâché, or even foam w/ VSSSD (in the wiki here, but since it isn't up right now, search other threads for it). The key will be design of the platforms using steps, ramps, smaller platforms in different levels etc., so they fit withing the "terrain". 2 dimensional luan cut to shapes + painted to look 3d will be a space-saver if needed. Camouflage nets, cheap plastic flowers & leaves from junk stores and real tree branches (not real leaves) can fill up a lot of space if used appropriately. I'm sure others will share good ideas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back