organisation problems

comms breaking

The_Guest said:
It's best if you just act like it's not there, it should only be used if you need to communicate some sort of problem or last minute detail. Too many people rely on the things too much, imagine if your clearcom system breaks. What would you do? Do you have a plan b?

I'll always remember this great experience I had one day whilst I was running lights for a show. I'd been called in last minute coz the normal op. had come down with the flu.

It was an old crappy headset up in the booth at that point, during the first act, about halfway through, my headset suddenly "failed."

I had no idea when this special cue was supposed to happen, so I was frantically trying to contact the SM desk.

I had a feeling that the cue was coming, but had no idea when, when suddenly this pair of boots lands on the desk beside me. I look up, and theres the ASM grinning at me.

Apparently just the speaker connection on the comms had come loose, so they could hear me (and all my colourful language) so the SM (quick thinker) sent the ASM up the ladder to the catwalk, above the audiences heads, and into the light booth.

The ASM spent the rest of the show up there with me, and thankfully brought a pair of headsets with him.

Needless to say i now ALWAYS have a plan B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back