oscRFR as auxiliary control

gwynn

Hey folks!

I’ve got kind of a time sensitive question for anybody running oscRFR with their Eos device: our ancient touchscreen monitor has decided that the day of a tech rehearsal for a show tomorrow is a great time to kick the bucket, so I’m now stuck trying to busk on an IonXE with a mouse. Does anybody have any experience running shows using oscRFR as a touchscreen? This is the first real show we’re running on this new board, and the first time I’d be using this app (and I’m not an especially experienced busker either).

Thanks!

I have used mine in a cue stack setting, just pushing "G-O". With that in mind, I think it would be doable with a good screen layout, Keep it simple... and you will survive...

Let us know how it went...

Sean...

Hey folks!

I’ve got kind of a time sensitive question for anybody running oscRFR with their Eos device: our ancient touchscreen monitor has decided that the day of a tech rehearsal for a show tomorrow is a great time to kick the bucket, so I’m now stuck trying to busk on an IonXE with a mouse. Does anybody have any experience running shows using oscRFR as a touchscreen? This is the first real show we’re running on this new board, and the first time I’d be using this app (and I’m not an especially experienced busker either).

Thanks!
Calling @Amiers

Gotta love a pickle. First things first get yourself another monitor so you can see what’s going on on the console. Second ditch the IPAD and console busk hoping you have the XE 20 for subs. If not it’s not bad just means you will be doing a lot of cue swapping. IE goto cue # enter. Also if you are teching a show then you should have your base looks down, record the final looks as cues write down the numbers of you gotta go out of order and or label them on the console. Frankly using a touch screen to cue or busk a show isn’t favorable and having a fader is. Good Luck and welcome to the trenches.

I agree with Scarrgo to keep it as simple as you can. I have no experience with the OSCRFR, but if you have another monitor that you can hook up to the console you can at least have a tab of virtual faders and a tab of direct selects to fire cues and palates. Good luck.

Gotta love a pickle. First things first get yourself another monitor so you can see what’s going on on the console. Second ditch the IPAD and console busk hoping you have the XE 20 for subs. If not it’s not bad just means you will be doing a lot of cue swapping. IE goto cue # enter. Also if you are teching a show then you should have your base looks down, record the final looks as cues write down the numbers of you gotta go out of order and or label them on the console. Frankly using a touch screen to cue or busk a show isn’t favorable and having a fader is. Good Luck and welcome to the trenches.
Happily enough, we ARE running a 20... and I’m quite a bit more comfortable with cues than I am just running live at this point in time, so that’s a really great suggestion! Thanks a lot!

Happily enough, we ARE running a 20... and I’m quite a bit more comfortable with cues than I am just running live at this point in time, so that’s a really great suggestion! Thanks a lot!
Awesome. So two ways to do this. record your looks to subs while you tech. Then record them cues later. Or just run the whole show from subs. Being I have no idea what show you are running. I’ll give this advice. Short shows busk the subs 15-30min. Long shows cue it 30 min plus. Also don’t forget the audience doesn’t know you f^%#*+ up when you do so don’t freak out and just work through it.

Awesome. So two ways to do this. record your looks to subs while you tech. Then record them cues later. Or just run the whole show from subs. Being I have no idea what show you are running. I’ll give this advice. Short shows busk the subs 15-30min. Long shows cue it 30 min plus. Also don’t forget the audience doesn’t know you f^%#*+ up when you do so don’t freak out and just work through it.
That’s so helpful thank you so much!

I use OSCRFR all the time, usually as a Focus Remote, or to show things to people... For instance when doing the fringe festival I'll pull up systems while on stage with the people from the show to quickly let them know what they have to work with.
I've also used it in tandem with a laptop as a remote workstation.... So running nomad without a licence you can still MIRROR the console, which is great for this, I can see the main console monitor on the laptop (including the command line) and OSCRFR becomes the control surface (ION XE20).
I've also used OSCRFR to access faders, palettes and encoders when running nomad for shows (none of the nomad setups I've encountered around here have command wings or fader wings, just a keyboard, yay). But this gives me touch screen functionality and such!

Works great, but sometimes I've had issues with lag, so when I can I try not to run a show on it.

Also don’t forget the audience doesn’t know you f^%#*+ up when you do so don’t freak out and just work through it.
This came up digging through some old threads, and I think it's great advice... for L1's. :)

Only about 5-10% of the mistakes you can make are things that the *audience* will notice; the rest will only be noticed by you, the LD and maybe the director.

So learn from them, don't be glib about them, but don't wig out about them either, just go... on with the show.

A1's don't have this luxury, but that's mostly made up for by how much of our labor is live during the performance, as opposed to set-up during tech.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back