Osram sells Clakpaky to ARRI

Jay Ashworth

• With this agreement, ams OSRAM implements the last of the divestments which the company had communicated to pursue following the acquisition of OSRAM, strengthening the focus on core technology areas.

My perspective from the 'cheap seats' offers this small bit of insight- many mid-priced moving light manufacturers have been increasing their exposure within concert touring news these past several years. Brands making more appearances within touring include Chauvet, Elation, Ayrton, seasoned with the occasional ADJ, GLP and JB Lighting. The brands long known for shed touring over the years, VL, Robe, PRG, Martin Pro, continue to remain in strong demand. Clay Paky has long been known as a premium brand, but I'm not sure what the target market is for them.

ARRI is a the premium brand for cinematography lighting, as far as I can tell. Where does the synergy (sorry for the over-used buzzword) within these two brands place Clay Paky?

Again, cheap seats view. Looking forward to some other perspectives-

My perspective from the 'cheap seats' offers this small bit of insight- many mid-priced moving light manufacturers have been increasing their exposure within concert touring news these past several years. Brands making more appearances within touring include Chauvet, Elation, Ayrton, seasoned with the occasional ADJ, GLP and JB Lighting. The brands long known for shed touring over the years, VL, Robe, PRG, Martin Pro, continue to remain in strong demand. Clay Paky has long been known as a premium brand, but I'm not sure what the target market is for them.

ARRI is a the premium brand for cinematography lighting, as far as I can tell. Where does the synergy (sorry for the over-used buzzword) within these two brands place Clay Paky?

Again, cheap seats view. Looking forward to some other perspectives-
Claypaky's market was a company that produces "Disney-licensed" family entertainment shows. A few years ago I was told their purchases represented more than 50% of Claypaky's USA sales.

I'm seeing more Claypaky gear coming in with concert tours along with GLP. More GLP showing up on the Troika/NetWorks level tours, too.

The synergy is consolidation. You're seeing it with a lot of companies lately. For instance-- Chauvet and Kino Flo. Instead of being able to service one market (Live Event/theatre), they now have product and reach into Film & TV as well. ETC bought High End Systems a few years back- and now what was mainly a theatre company is also a big player in the Live Event/Production realm of moving lights. ARRI is doing the same. They already have a massive footprint in the Film & TV market, and now they can add in the moving lights and grow in the Live Event market. TV production has already made the shift to incorporating a lot of Live event fixtures due to shows like American's Got Talent, The Voice, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, American Idol, etc. and companies are looking to be a one-stop provider of everything the show needs instead of, "Get your film/studio fixtures from us, but you'll have to buy or rent the moving fixtures elsewhere..." The smaller companies are all being bought up by the bigger ones and consolidation is happening throughout the market. Just look at PRG, Solotech, MBS, 4Wall, etc. All of them have gobbled up smaller companies to expand their reach and market. That same consolidation is happening in every industry.

Makes me wonder if they have plans for divesting Christie Digital next.

(Christie Digital is owned by USHIO. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back