other lighting forum resources?

does anyone know other forums like this one that deal with professional lighting designers and top level gear? I want to bookmark as many lighting forum resources as possible but I don't want the ones that are small. I'm looking for the ones that are frequented by the industry leaders who tour with big shows and have years of knowledge. Like this forum and comparable to what Prosoundweb is for audio gurus.

thanks,
jeff

Blue room, its more UK based but if you are a strand person its a great place to go ask the really really strange questions.

roadie.net

musicindustrybook.com

thanks for all the help. Between all the resources I have thanks to good insight from all of you, I should never be stumped by a client question. Phil has noted that some of you guys/gals are quite the superstars of real world production. I have a lot of knowledge to share from within my particular areas (dance music sound systems, installs, corporate shows, topend lighting consoles, intelligent lighting) over the past 15 years of A/V and lighting so hopefully I too will have some good info to contribute around here.
on PSW, despite my long background, I feel like i'm a newbie! I like it though. The technical posts spin my head sometimes with stuff I used to think i was so good with and realized i'm not near some of the others, haha.
I guess that's what happens when you try to learn everything about all 3 mediums instead of mastering one.

wise words to all. Anything post-1979 for the most part makes my own head spin. Unless lamps of course, even the Big Light conversation I started on another post... urr, yea, what he said because I never said I knew anything about these fixtures, just wanted to discuss off line techincal issues I note.

Also of note is its wise to gain insite thru many places - one kernel of knowledge is of total importance no matter the source and no matter where it comes from. Newbee... na all of us see stuff and have learned stuff, just what we give back in helping others that's important no matter our standing or experience. This much less the quest to constantly learn, keep an open mind in refraiming what we know or hold to, and beyond this even have fun conversing in our trade.

IF about me,
/\
|
|
nope, no superstars in this industry, we all experience the same thing, learn from the same sources, experiment here and there, more a question of follow thru and effort on anyone's part. Even on lamps, many on this forum that know and can recommend by way of study a lamp just as well as I can. As with all other stuff they master or focus on more so. Jack of trades, Master of nothing, Master in some fields jack of some, etc. All about the trade and our focus.

Also, often its easier to teach than to do... Just making a storm window in my garage this week. The simple mistakes I might recommend solutions and warnings in preventing or pre-think out in advice on-line I didn't think of on the spot given woodworking isn't my trade these days. Gee, for instance, perhaps 3/4" narrow crown staples might not be ideal for 3/4" lumber... This much less not noting I was oil base when adding soap to my brush tonight in attempting to clean it.

Welcome to the forum by the way, post away, challenge, debate, advise, add thoughts etc. Add to the quesiton of the day, PM etc. It is all out there for you, as with your involvement in all sorts of other forums as it's an industry not just a confined place to be. A home website perhaps but industry to get advice from often on the more complex.

Still, talk to guys I think gods such as Bill Sapsis or Dr. Doom off line they still have the same intent and enthusiasm anyone else has in the love of the trade and help. No matter if someone in junior high school or near retirement and having impressive credintials, my thoughts remain. Not one post or thought more important than another. Weight of experience in having tested it or expression to bear but still it's all about the kernel of knowledge or thing noted that is all about it.

Less reply specific than as normal attempting to get those that just kind of read and hope to learn, but might be intimidated to post.

so uh, ship...you worship the bad guy from the fantastic four? I would have thought you smarter than to become a minion of his evil empire...

(no really, who's dr. doom? now I'm curious)

Use the search there, DarSax, he's been mentioned many times here. "Dr. Doom" refers to Dr. Randall W. A. Davidson. Author of
Practical Health and Safety for School Theater Operations
the definitive book on these matters. Required reading for all who work in our industry. (Sorry about the formatting, stuff got stuck ON, for some reason. I must need to do a "blue button reset.")

It's a good book, a big book, an expensive book, it will remind you of every tiny little thing you have ever done unsafe, and dazzle you with all the ways you can die at work.

I would add it's a must read for anyone in a position of authority over a group of technicians.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back