I just noticed that after 1K posts you don't get no stinkin' badges.*

*Treasure of the Sierra Madre

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Hmm, we used to have medals for that sort of thing. But, a badge could be arranged. Will have to think about that.

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
As usual I was just joking, but hey how about something really cool, like maybe headphones???????

JD

Wow, it's been so long but... I kind of remember little headphones or something like that, although it might be a stray false memory....

Reactions: RonHebbard

StradivariusBone

Custom Title
Fight Leukemia

gafftaper

Senior Team
Senior Team
Fight Leukemia
As usual I was just joking, but hey how about something really cool, like maybe headphones???????
Bring back the headphones! I want my 5th headphone!

Just saying this to irritate @dvsDave.

Wow, it's been so long but... I kind of remember little headphones or something like that, although it might be a stray false memory....
Yes back in the early days of CB there was a 5 headphone rating system. The headphones were located under your user name. You earned headphones based on how many times you posted. Along with the headphone there was a title for the level you were at. I remember it took 10 posts to earn your second headphone. Most people did this as quickly as possible because the one headphone level title was "Actor".

@dvsDave made it impossible to ever earn the 5th headphone. I believe he always said that the 5th headphone was reserved for future use... then he got rid of the headphones in a system update.

Does anyone remember the other levels? I want to say 4 headphones was T.D. and took about 500 posts to earn. But can't remember for sure.

Chris15

CBMod
CB Mods
Premium Member
Departed Member
I had the 5th headphone back in the day. It was the 6th that was always reserved for future use to remind us all there was always more to learn...
For a trip down memory lane, the 5 headphone levels and the post counts they represented:
Newbie: 0-9
Junior Techie: 10-49
Techie: 50-199
Assistant TD: 200-499
TD: 500+
The veteran members will recall a time when the first rank of "Newbie" was instead known as "Actor"

derekleffew

Resident Curmudgeon
Senior Team
Premium Member
Thanks for that, @Chris15 . The above is one of the primary reasons, upon first visiting ControlBooth, that I dismissed the site as intended for amateur high school "techies." I stayed away for maybe five years, and once I did join in 2007, made it my mission to convince Dave to kill off the headphone system.

If anyone wants/needs to blame someone, please blame me. I earned it.
Just like coal and manufacturing jobs--they're gone, and they ain't never comin' back!

Posted to the private staff forum Oct. 14, 2008:
I feel the headphone system has to go. Maybe not the headphones themselves (as I enjoy that there's a sixth level that is unattainable) but the names associated with them. I can't think of any progression that will work for all departments so perhaps just an elimination of the titles. And maybe change the headphones to headsets (B-D DT108 FTW!). A cartoon of a single muff headset would be a more appropriate icon, but doesn't encompass costumes or shop work.

Last edited:

Amiers

Renting to Corporate One Fixture at a Time.
Thanks for that, @Chris15 . The above is one of the primary reasons, upon first visiting ControlBooth, that I dismissed the site as intended for amateur high school "techies." I stayed away for maybe five years, and once I did join in 2007, made it my mission to convince Dave to kill off the headphone system.

If anyone wants/needs to blame someone, please blame me. I earned it.
Just like coal and manufacturing jobs--they're gone, and they ain't never comin' back!

Posted to the private staff forum Oct. 14, 2008:
You are the Resident Curmudgeon.
:angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman:

JohnD

Fight Leukemia
You are the Resident Curmudgeon.
:angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman::angryoldman:
At the very least I would say Artist-in-residence Curmudgeon. There would be talent and artistry involved.
I do wonder how things would have gone in the @derekleffew vs Gearslutz matchup.

dvsDave

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
Senior Team
CB Mods
Fight Leukemia
Time to welcome @TimMc to the Kilopost Club!