Out of the Storm

Dionysus

I'd like to spread word about a fantastic benefit fund-raiser that happened this weekend (thanksgiving here in Canada).

Here in Goderich, Ontario we were hit by an F3 Tornado (directly downtown) which has caused a significant amount of damage, however it could of been a lot worse. Only ONE person died (however so many were so very close). And this in an area where Tornadoes are next to unheard of.

On October 8th, not long after the August 21st Tornado a huge benefit concert was performed. And with all staging, technicians, and artists DONATED. Tickets were sold for a mere $45 for a concert that ran from 12-noon to 1-am.

Artists included Matt Good, Ill Scarlet, The Arkells, & Downchild to name a few.

Palmer Audio donated their gear, Aric Burns (a Goderich Native, moved away to "the big city") got a bunch of his friends together from Palmer along with elsewhere, and local technicians to run two stages, allowing for a constant stream of entertainment.

I wish I was awake enough to list all the companies who donated the staging, video, etc right now. But it is more than appreciated. And the fact that the whole thing was Donated helped greatly to make the whole thing actually happen.

It was a fantastic event both Backstage and out front. Right in the center of the devastated town square. A large amount of various barricades and fencing was already in place to keep people out of hazardous areas.

As someone effected directly by the Tornado I just want to send out more THANK YOUS to everyone who helped out (directly or not). I wish the word had gotten out further and more people had bought tickets and come to check out a great event.
One of the biggest best events to hit this small sleepy town "in the middle of nowhere" in my opinion.

Seriously Cool Beans.

You're right--this is the first I've even heard of this! And +1 on the cudos to all the donators and participants. It's always good seeing a bunch of people pulling together to help (even though it most often resembles herding cats). Hope Goderich has some better days ahead!

Didn't see this thread until now...

It was a great event. Going into it knowing what Goderich has used for production in the past for different events (Lions trailer stage, for example), I was concerned that this was not going to meet the hype. I ended up being pretty impressed with how everything turned out though. The lighting looked decent. For being donated it was obviously a pretty amazing thing, but I was questioning some of the stuff the LD was doing during Matt Good... especially the whole not lighting the drummer thing (even when Matt asked for it from the set).

Steve, did you notice how loud the PA was during The Salads?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back