outdoor music at dusk lighting

Lyons

Was just browsing a few threads on here to get ideas on this subject.

I am an audio head, not a lighting guy. Our lighting person is out for a bit so I'll be covering this one, that and its a new event/location that we never tried before.

Event is a concert that should be ending at dusk, small stage, 4 piece band. Sun is not in a great location, semi-behind the stage off house left. Not ideal, but I can't seam to figure out how to move the sun fixture*.

Anyway, power at this location is limited. I am limiting myself to 2, (maybe 3), 20amp circuits for lighting, and they will be about a 25 foot run from the nearest source. I have a few old portable dimmer units hanging out in the shop that work.

First, should I bother attempting any stage lights? There are no hanging locations, no truss to be brought in. I can do a side pipe and front floor lights.

Second, if I attempt anything, our lighting fixutre inventory is mostly parnels and source4. There is a pile of older 100watt flood cans that are in good shape as well. Throw up a few front floors or just forget it? What insturments should I even use?

I am on the fence about this being worth it. Its been overcast and hazy the past few days, but I hope that I can get to the event location at show time to watch the time/lighting and get an idea. I Know I can make something work, I'm just looking for input.

TIA guys. I have been reading these forums for a long time. Bout time I post something.

In an outdoor venue, it is always a good idea to have enough light to at least statically light up the stage. Nothing worse than a very overcast day, and not being able to see the performers. As to going above and beyond? Not sure it seems worth it for an event that ends at dusk, without an operator for the lighting system, on a small stage.

...Event is a concert that should be ending at dusk, ...
Operative words bolded. What are the chances of the event starting late or running long? I think I'd be more concerned about audience egress than stage lighting.

... Sun is not in a great location, semi-behind the stage off house left. Not ideal, but I can't seam to figure out how to move the sun fixture*. ...
Will the setting sun blind the audience during the last part of the program? You can't move the "sun fixture*", but could you (maybe) re-orient the stage?

In my experience, unless you have 575W or greater HMI units, don't bother with stage lighting unless it's completely dark. Even on an overcast day. Take one of your fixtures outside and turn it on. Can you see the effect of the light with a 10-20' throw distance?

Competing against the sun with 2 or 3 20 amp circuits? Suspect the sun will win ;)

The word of the day is "clear" as in no gels. Almost no reason for dimmers except to bring the lights on at the beginning and turn them of at the end. Keep it simple, maybe three 575 parnels on either side, One 20 to the left, one 20 to the right.

EDIT: Since I see Derek beat me to most of it, the only reason I would opt for anything is in case it is a dark day, and to provide a bit of competing front light for those taking pictures. (Fill flash only works for about 10 feet.)

as far as egress, the audience area is on a campus and well lit. There will be no problem with people seeing where they are going after dark.

The show starts at 6pm. I highly highly doubt it will go any later than 8pm. Sunset is officially at 8:08 pm according to wunderground.

I guess I am thinking that with the sun being off upstage right, we should do some front lighting to fill in the front. I'll go out tonight or tomorrow night and play.

as far as egress, the audience area is on a campus and well lit. There will be no problem with people seeing where they are going after dark.

The show starts at 6pm. I highly highly doubt it will go any later than 8pm. Sunset is officially at 8:08 pm according to wunderground.

I guess I am thinking that with the sun being off upstage right, we should do some front lighting to fill in the front. I'll go out tonight or tomorrow night and play.

The front light won't make much of a difference if the audience is blind from getting the full wrath of a setting sun in their face. Just saying.

The shows I've lit outdoors had the sun coming from a left stage center to left downstage point. When I lit those shows it took 12 S4 PARs @ 575 watts, plus two 1K 6" Fresnels to even be noticeable to my eye as a designer. I would have gone clear but the producer insisted the front lights had to be gelled, so it was bastard amber and co color blue for me. I also would have liked to use more front lights than that but it was a power/budget/dimmers limitation. The lumens they provided were only noticeable if suddenly turned off, and even then, when the sun was low on the horizon, they were completely overpowered. To truly compete with the Sun you need 5K's, 10K's, the big guns. Most anyone who has lit for the outdoors will tell you its pretty much static open white lights until the sun goes down.

Anyway, I'm with Derek. Have some lights on standby for post dusk lighting as the audience leaves or if the event goes long. Even if the lights aren't effective sometimes just seeing lit theatrical lights can add to feel of an event.

Last edited:
Thanks Gaff, thats what I am thinking. Lights on standby. To bad I am stuck with just a few 20am circuits. The theatre house with dimming rack is only some 200 feet as the bird flies, but there is a cement wall in the way.

It looks to be clearing up, I hope to pop out to the venue at dusk tonight and see just where the sun lands. Moving our stage location would require some, um, creativity.

I realise it is a lot of work to set up lighting in case you might use it, but the last bit of the concert is what the audience remembers and if the last ten minutes is a nice colour wash, then it is worth it. Keep it to a low budget but try and do something.

I have done outdoor shows at an amphitheatre in summer where the first band is lit with daylight and you just start to notice the lighting as they get to the end of their set, but the audience is laid back and enjoying the music by this time, so I want them to see some atmosphere. Then the second band gets the full benefit of lighting.

When we had daylight saving, we used to do "carols by daylight" but had to set up lighting for the last half hour. Without the 1 hour daylight saving, the whole show would need lighting. We used Par64 for maximum punch during dusk.

For the budget minded productions I've talked friends into lending their halogen work lights. They are designed for the environment and have the punch needed. Options avaliable are: 250w, 500w, 750w(really good units with both wattage lamps) Focus...BIG, REALLY BIG, someone had budget on their mind not pretty:( Then again Theatrical Instruments a few years old don't look good either, but turn them on and ya can't see 'em anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back