Overwork kills

As I have been talking to a lot of people in my network, as a whole I have noticed people are not returning to regional theatre.

People got laid off, had more time than they thought they would have to think, then decided not to come back.

I attribute this to the abusive relationship that exists in that world, labor is expendable and you do it for “the art” or this is not a job it’s a “lifestyle”.

Those in my network have told me many of these organizations have been having conversations concerning these issues to address them, a few have even posted written statements on their websites.

In my opinion those statements are glib at best and hold no real accountability to the organizations power structure.

I have been hearing these discussions for 20 years, I don’t believe the current financial structure will give any incentive to change their practices.

Universities will continue to crank out kids who are taught not to value themselves.

I’ll just sit around here in the for profit side of the industry, I’m good.

As I have been talking to a lot of people in my network, as a whole I have noticed people are not returning to regional theatre.

People got laid off, had more time than they thought they would have to think, then decided not to come back.

I attribute this to the abusive relationship that exists in that world, labor is expendable and you do it for “the art” or this is not a job it’s a “lifestyle”.

Those in my network have told me many of these organizations have been having conversations concerning these issues to address them, a few have even posted written statements on their websites.

In my opinion those statements are glib at best and hold no real accountability to the organizations power structure.

I have been hearing these discussions for 20 years, I don’t believe the current financial structure will give any incentive to change their practices.

Universities will continue to crank out kids who are taught not to value themselves.

I’ll just sit around here in the for profit side of the industry, I’m good.
But we don't have to look too far in the for-profit world for this kind of abuse either. People fool themselves into thinking "they're the only ones who can do this". Or the touring part of the industry that says "You have to be there everyday, there are no backups". Or idiot managers who can't staff up properly. Or people who want that OT, forgetting that after a certain point it all goes to taxes, and money won't buy you any time.

There needs to be a big ol' shift in priorities, society wide.

I think the deal is that folks figured out that even the lawn service workers don't do 18 hour days. Target? Home Depot? Nope, 8, maybe 9.

You can have a family, you can participate in your kid's lives, your spouse might remember your name. You'll have paid vacation, maybe a 401(k), and some employment stability.

And when you factor in the so-called "free lance" work that is actually *employee misclassification* and that the increased cost of self-employment taxes, providing ones own benefits, etc - you have to make 25%-30% more in gross billings to equal an employee wage, let alone the cost of bennies..

As I've pointed out, most folks figured out that they were subsidizing, either physically with their bodies and/or financially with lower earnings, no benefits, and off-clock work, "the arts." And they said "screw that."

Pretty valid opinion. There's a lot of talk going through the industry about how fairer labor practices can be instated. I'm all for it, the actual production side of the industry seems for it.
I have no idea how the industry is going to convince the producers/marketing folk/whoever makes the performance schedules to account for the reduced hours.

"The industry" better get its excrement together or there will be fewer and fewer technicians and stagehands. No shortage of "designers" because that's all universities know how to turn out - not anyone capable of actually building a safe set or focusing lights whilst wedged in a spotlight cove, or mixing a show that can be understood rather than merely 'heard'.

I will say this: most university "arts" education is basically a fraud - any sufficiently motivated student could learn more, faster, about "the arts" on their own. That's one of the reasons I decided that finishing my degree only enriched the institution and did little to increase my interest, knowledge, or comprehension.... and I said 'adios' to higher education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back