Pack Rat Directors

bobgaggle

You know what I love? Directors who hoard things, they never let you get to anything. Walk into her office and there's the roll of spike tape you know that you left sitting on the apron. Wait, whats that? is that the last utility knife that used to be hanging on its neat little spot on the peg board?

But that's not my rant. My county's Board of supervisors and school board has come up with a nice 200 page book of rules and regs for school theatre, as a result of a "controversial" play produced by a local high school (google "offsides") so now everything we do has to comply with these regs. I'm cool with that. What I'm not cool with is when I have no idea what the county considers safe because the director WON'T LET ME LOOK AT THE FREAKIN BOOK!!!!!

I was building an 8' tall catwalk for Jekyll and Hyde, but didn't know if I was allowed to have only one railing across the upstage side. Naturally all the actors were cool with having only one railing (high school kids), so i put only one railing. But after one of the shows, one of the kid's dads got all up in my face for not being safe, putting his child at risk etc...

Not to mention the fact that we could get seriously shut down by the county if anything I build doesn't comply. And after I explain this (the show has already opened, and closes this week end, so the whole thing is moot)...she still refuses to show me the book. WTF!?!?!?!?!

1. Are you a student, or faculty member?

2. I think by "two rails" you mean handrail and midrail. You should have both, OSHA recommends it. Also, it feels safer. Does it really matter? [-]No.[/-] Yes, and paint it OSHA orange while you're at it. (Psst, the safety police are around here!)

Uh, in terms of practical suggestions? Keep building it. Waste their funds. When a parent gets in your face ask them to cite the code, with the book in front of you, then politely explain that you've never seen the book before! Also, if you're a student, there's absolutely no reason for a parent to be complaining to you, try this line: "The faculty member is over there".

I'm a student. Yeah that was the issue. It was a stupid thing to blow out of proportion, but ever since, there have been rules about content, safety, alterations to playing spaces...everything.

5 MONTHS TILL COLLEGE!!!!!

I'm a student. Yeah that was the issue. It was a stupid thing to blow out of proportion, but ever since, there have been rules about content, safety, alterations to playing spaces...everything.
5 MONTHS TILL COLLEGE!!!!!
Dude, call the ACLU and all your troubles will be over.
Unless they have several million dollars to pay in settlements.

Food for thought:
The theatre that we work in and love is a dangerous place. It's also a place that OSHA and other safety organizations are surprisingly relaxed about.
Where else can you hang thousands of pounds of gear from the ceiling and walk around underneath of it without having to wear a hard hat.
Where else can you find a drop-off like the front of most stages that isn't required to have a rail.
Where else can we roll heavy set pieces around in the dark without the requirements of safety lights.
When was the last time you tied off when you were in the catwalks? Wore ear protection at an concert event? Intentionally caused a small explosion (flashpots) without a burn permit. I'll bet there are places in a bunch of theatres out there that qualify as confined spaces, who holds permits?
Speaking from the experience of having a friend and co-worker nearly lose his life on a concert strike, PLEASE STAY SAFE, even if it means adding an extra hand rail.

Food for thought:
The theatre that we work in and love is a dangerous place. It's also a place that OSHA and other safety organizations are surprisingly relaxed about.
Where else can you hang thousands of pounds of gear from the ceiling and walk around underneath of it without having to wear a hard hat.
Where else can you find a drop-off like the front of most stages that isn't required to have a rail.
Where else can we roll heavy set pieces around in the dark without the requirements of safety lights.
When was the last time you tied off when you were in the catwalks? Wore ear protection at an concert event? Intentionally caused a small explosion (flashpots) without a burn permit. I'll bet there are places in a bunch of theatres out there that qualify as confined spaces, who holds permits?
Speaking from the experience of having a friend and co-worker nearly lose his life on a concert strike, PLEASE STAY SAFE, even if it means adding an extra hand rail.

I don't follow the music scene, and therefore don't go to concerts, but on the chance I ever have to work in loud environment such as a concert, I recently picked up some ER-20s, pretty cool little buggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back