paint a stage floor to look like carpet

lounsbud

We are doing a production of Down in Front at our local community theatre. Nice, lighthearted comedy that takes place in the lobby of a community theatre on opening night of a new play. I would like to paint our concrete stage floor (I know I hate it too) to look like shag carpet. Anyone have any good methods to make this happen? Every reference I can find online refers to painting your floor to look like an area rug. I am not looking for that effect but rather just an all-over color with the appearance of shag carpeting like a typical living room for example. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Solid lighter tone with a covering of a darker mix dabbed on with a sponge.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

If you have time, you might even go 3-tone. Medium-shade, solid color; light-shade, heavy dabbing; dark-shade, light dabbing.

You could also use a loop napped texture roller in place of the sponge, but it is going to be tricky. Whatever you do buy a few sheets of masonite to practice on first.
Then look up the term "sprung floor" and tell your Board of Directors to get their checkbooks out.

We are doing a production of Down in Front at our local community theatre. Nice, lighthearted comedy that takes place in the lobby of a community theatre on opening night of a new play. I would like to paint our concrete stage floor (I know I hate it too) to look like shag carpet. Anyone have any good methods to make this happen? Every reference I can find online refers to painting your floor to look like an area rug. I am not looking for that effect but rather just an all-over color with the appearance of shag carpeting like a typical living room for example. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
Hi @lounsbud, do you have a pic of the finished effect you achieved? I am thinking of doing the same thing

The sponge & dabbing & textured roller options are all good, but. You say "community theatre," so I'm thinking relatively small house. Please describe you house. What is the eye level of the first few rows re: the stage level? How far away from the stage is it? Is the floor of the house raked? What is the eye level of the last rows? How far away from the stage is it? Your audience may not be able to distinguish your carefully painted floor if you go to the effort. I suggest painting a base color of your choice, then looking at it from all parts of your house. You may not need to go into great detail (i.e., spend a lot of time & $$$) with the floor painting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back