Paint Pigment

dababy223

Hello All..

I was looking in our supplies and found a whole lot of old paint
pigment.(needs a bonding agent to work) We don't use it since no one
really knows how to use it, so it has just been sitting around.
I have been sent to see if there is a proper way of disposing it, or
if I can sell it. There are many colors and a lot of it...5 gallon
buckets of this stuff. If any one is interested in this please
privately email me for more details. If any one has any suggestions
about this please post them.

Brandy Bitzer
Lighting Designer

Can you not use it on sets (I am sure that it cannot be that hard to learn how this stuff works)?

If not, you could always see if a local art supplier/school/community group could benefit form it.

Commerce is not allowed on this forum. Those interested should contact dababy223 directly. Such commerce once a year per member is allowed on Stagecraft and you would very likely find those that would find such pigment of value there if nobody is interested here.

Need a bonding agent and vehicle. One to move and mix up the pigment and one to bond it to the surface. In other words and dependant upon the type of pigment, anything from white paint to polyeurathane will work with the pigment you add to it. With most pigments it also does not matter in vehicle between oil and latex as a source. You can even use some white glue and water to apply pigment to the surface dependant upon the finish technique desired and technique used. This is especially true with metallic pigments. In any case, given the proper mixing, it's possible to use a clear adhesive and have specs of pigment on the surface that will be invisible under certain lighting conditions yet magically appear with other lighting.

Given this custom color mixing, I'm wondering why you would want to get rid of it? Such pigment will last forever and allow you to save money in just buying white paint or color mixing paint and mixing your own blend. If nothing else, and you are not ready for it yet perhaps it would be more effective to put it back away for some later date with someone that knows how to use it. What you get in resale given the pigment is any good, might not be as valuable to the eventual use for it.

This is all given it's not super saturated paint and more the powder form of it. If super saturated even Caseen type paint - and it smells allot of salminilla than it should probably not be sold once that old. You can use it still for the most part but be really careful because that smell is reality in what health effects it might have. Once dry and on the surface it's not very dangerous but will have a slight smell to it still. I was raised on such super saturated smelly paint and am lucky I did not suffer from mixing it than eating without washing. Such paint in the semi-liquid form can be dumped down the sink when washed down with water. (Don't think I'm offending any OSHA type rules on it given that's how we used to dispose of it 20 years ago.) It is bio degradable thus will not adversely effect the Eco system.

Some scene painters would salivate for such pigment be it either form because you otherwise can't get such effects as well. Hope it helps. If dry, I might hang onto it, even experiment with it. Otherwise I might just leave it in place and save it for the next generation or three. Sure it might raise a few bucks but in the end it would not be sold for what it's worth to replace. As a stage hand, you have to balance the frugalness with the momentary cash flow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back