Pan optical sensor issue??

partyanimal

Hi wizards, can anyone take a look at this video and let me know their views as to what is causing the pan to function like this on an Elation Platinum 5R Spot? I've swapped out the motor, the pan driver PCB and the magnetic and optical sensor and I've also tested the motor, magnetic and optical sensor harnesses for continuity back to the driver PCB. In my humble opinion, I'm assuming it's the optical sensor (although it was swapped out) causing the problem as the pan is moving in steps. Any assistance or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have 3 units down for various issues. I'll swap out the pan driver IC first and see if this is the issue, then the motor, then get back to you with an update. Thanks for the advice so far!!!

First off (and this is going to sound insulting but I only ask because of how many hours I've wasted because I didn't consider it) have you swapped in all known good components so far and does everything you've taken out work fine in another fixture? If not, double check that you're not replacing somewhat broken parts with other somewhat broken parts and take the time to test what you're taking out to see if it's really broken or not.

Assuming you have already crossed that bridge and are using good parts, because it tries to fix itself during the tilt test at the beginning of the video and it doesn't crash into it's hard stops during the pan test toward the end I'm inclined to think the encoder system is probably working. Mac 2k's used to have terrible problems with cable damage that caused similar strange behavior. Testing continuity only tells you that at least single strand of copper happens to be touching from end to end at the time you're testing. It's a great first test, but not a conclusive test of overall cable integrity or current carrying capacity. I bet the harness will be a pain to replace just for testing, but you can do some further cable tests with the harness in place still. Unplug the pan and run a known good jumper wire from the driver board directly to the pan motor and run the tilt test (don't worry about fishing the cable through the head of the unit if you don't have to). If the behavior changes then you have a direction to go. If that doesn't work, in these fixtures is there a main board that tells the driver board what to do? If so I would try swapping that with a known good one.

Hi wizards, can anyone take a look at this video and let me know their views as to what is causing the pan to function like this on an Elation Platinum 5R Spot? I've swapped out the motor, the pan driver PCB and the magnetic and optical sensor and I've also tested the motor, magnetic and optical sensor harnesses for continuity back to the driver PCB. In my humble opinion, I'm assuming it's the optical sensor (although it was swapped out) causing the problem as the pan is moving in steps. Any assistance or feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Did you ever figure this problem out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back