Paper Cutter for Gel

Guillotine paper cutter is old skul. Kewl Kidz is using "rotary paper trimmer" now.

proxy.php

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074RBP81S/?tag=controlbooth-20

In my experience, the rotary cutters can catch and wrinkle gel easier - I like the nice big slicers, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DEK6Z6/?tag=controlbooth-20

Whatever you get, make sure it lists film, photos, or laminated pages in what it can cut.

Yup, same here. We retired our dull old school slicer in favor for handheld rotary cutters, partially because the demand for gel had dropped 90% in the last ten years, but the old paper cutter is still the best thing. Especially when you draw each gel size on its base, its the best.

I really like using the Guillotine type cutters. I have taped out the sizes of Gel that I need to cut (Source Four, Fresnel, and Cyc). I bought one for my department recently that we have gotten to work well. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016LDV41S/?tag=controlbooth-20
@SamP If you need to cut circular gells for Strong Supertroupers et al, you can get to enjoy cutting circles to perfection with your guillotine cutter as well, the secret's in the methodogy:
- Begin with an oversize cut, possibly something from your stash of pre-cuts for your cyc' lights or 5 K fresnels.
- Measure the diameter of the circle you need.
- Divide your measurement in half to determine the radius of your desired circle.
- Measure the radius across from the cutting edge of your guillotine.
- Measure a few inches greater than your desired radius down from your guilllotine's upper guide.
- Stick a sharp push-pin / thumb-tack through the approximate center of your square or rectangular gel cut and stick it firmly into the surface of your guillotine's table at the intersection of your two measurements.
- After you've used this method for a few weeks, you'll have zero trouble locating the hole waiting to receive your push-pin.
Back to cutting precisely round circular gels.
Make your first chop.
With your free hand, lightly press down on your gel and rotate it approximately 90 degrees.
Make your second chop.
Rotate your gel approximately another 90 degrees to approximately 180 degrees.
Make your third chop.
Rotate your gel approximately another 90 degrees to 270 degrees.
Make your fourth chop.
Continue to rotate your gel in ever finer increments with your free hand while simultaneously rapidly raising and chopping your guillotine's blade trimming ever smaller slivers of gel from your circle.
You'll know when you've reached perfection when your significant other hands you vegetables to chop and dice for social occasions.
Yeah, I know it sounds silly. The first IA road house in which I played assistant LX had four Supers and I got really good at cutting 24 perfectly circular cuts of Cinemoid ten minutes prior to curtain.
I've written of this method here before and people snickered then too.
Don't forget to label your cuts.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Ron, really......

It take less time to cut 6 pieces of FS color than to read your post.

It’s not like the audience is seeing the not circular Edge from using a scissors.

Tongue in cheek, here in Brooklyn !

Ron, really......

It takes less time to cut 6 pieces of FS color than to read your post.

It’s not like the audience is seeing the non circular edge from using a pair of scissors.

Tongue in cheek, here in Brooklyn !
@SteveB I'm sorry to learn you're a slow reader. Where's your professional pride when you're personally guiding technical tourists through your space and pointing to the neatly filed collection of clearly labelled pre-cut PRECISELY circular gels, color correctors and frosts stored in your followspot booth with duplicates of many popular colors for designers who just HAVE to have spots loaded with double Lux 33 or double Lee 202? I'm sure you've got professional pride in Brooklyn.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back