Par Cans with Chauvet MinSpots

RadaMagic

Hi Guys,

I am a professional magician and for years we have either used in house lighting in the theatres we visit or when we would play Corporate events we would use our Par Cans and Lighting Stands (Mounted on Vertical Truss). Anyways, I just purchased two Chauvet MinSpots to add little more effect to the stage. These would likely be used in smaller theatres or in bare halls.

We want to position them on top 5 ft vertical truss at the back of the stage, positioned in the center.

See my terrible Diagram:

(------) represent back curtain
( X ) represent the position of the minSpot on stage on its 5 ft vertical truss.
( Wing ) the side of the stage obviously.

------------------------------------------------------
WING.................X...................X.....................Wing

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''Performing Area'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

^^^^^^^^^Audience^^^^^^^^^

The vertical truss with the par cans on it is positioned at the front of the stage, one piece on each side with 4 cans per side (8 total)

* Anyways my question is, using this basic controller
DMX DJ OPERATOR

Can I control 8 ParCans (which I already do) along with 2 MinSpots.....?? I used to have a basic lighting guy who worked with my show, but he is away for the next 6 months and I want to take a more hands on approach to the 'lighting aspect' of my show, something I have been meaning to do for the longest time. Its time I furthered my knowledge in this field. I do know the basics, but need to learn more....expect to see many posts from me in the next while HAHA.

Thanks,

Michael
Michael Bourada, International Magician/Illusionist

Last edited:
Hi Michel, welcome to CB,
If you wish to control the lights you will need to have them connected to a a DMX dimmer if you want to control the intensities. The controller you have will control the lights, but you will have some difficulties making the MinSpots move constantly. We can talk you through this if you feel you can't do it yourself, but in response do your question, yes, this board will control your lights, but not ideally, maybe one of these Martin Freekie as the MinSpots are Moving Lights.
I'm not sure how much you know, speak to your current lighting guy before he goes.

Everyone here is here to help, so ask away!

Nick

Yes, of coarse, I do have a few dimmer packs. I have two, 4 channel dimmers ( http://www.progearwarehouse.com/DMX-Dim-4?sc=2&category=136 ). I was unaware that you have to hook up the MinSpots through them as well....

What about a computer based one/??
Perhaps this: Amercian DJ myDMX
Are these easier to use than a traditional board, or even my board....this is something I am leaning towards adding if it makes sense for my small lighting setup. I just want to make this a simple process (even though it never works out that way LOL).

And, another question....do you think the Chauvet MinSpots are ideal, I hear they aren't that bright.....I just spoke to the company I bought them from and they said they havent shipped them....I started to think about that and was wondering if something like this http://www.progearwarehouse.com/Chauvet-Intimidator-2-HTI?sc=2&category=155 would be better for me.....(two of them).....Take into consideration the power consumption vs brightness vs how easy they are to use. The MinSpots are just meant to add more color to the stage, not meant to light me personally, just to add some effect and perhaps get caught in the fog, which of coarse creates a nice look for a magic illusion show....

Thx.

Last edited:
The Intimidator 2.0 HTIs would indeed be better. They'd be much, much brighter, (about 10x brighter, I think). You essentially won't see the minspots on any decent sized stage because they're so dim (about as dim as a high power LED flashlight).

DO NOT plug any moving light in to a dimmer pack. You are correct that moving lights do not need to be plugged in to dimmer packs. Intensity is controlled on board the fixture, so DO NOT plug any moving light in to a dimmer pack. EVER. Unless there is a separate plug for the dimmer (a la VL1000TS).

You can control moving lights with the controller that you have. You will have to address them to be at the address for the fixture buttons.

You will have a hard time doing anything other than basic cueing with the controller than you have, myDMX would be an improvement, but there are better software solutions to be had.

I own two minspots. I purchased them for teaching purposes I can think of very few times they would be useful on stage. They just aren't bright enough. If you had a lot of them they could be useful, but not for your purposes. Soundlight's comparison to a flashlight is quite accurate. I would definitely go for the Intimidators... or brighter.

How large of lamps are you running in you PAR Cans? If you've got 8 500watt PAR cans, even the intimidators may have a hard time punching through that to be seen over the level of your PAR cans. Typically you want your intelligent lights to be significantly brighter than the general wash lighting around in order to be seen... unfortunately that gets expensive fast.

Best thing to do is go to a local supplier of DJ gear, this can be any place from a theatre supplier to Guitar Center and see if they have fixtures in your price range that you can see a demo of. This will let you see how the fixtures actually perform. They will also be happy to walk you through a hands on setup so that you can later do it yourself.

The Intimidator 2.0 HTI will be brighter than anything with a 250 watt ELC or other halogen lamp, and brighter than the Xmove LED and Xscan LED fixtures.

Slow movements will be a bit steppy because it doesn't have 16 bit movement - but not much does in your price range.

What is the effect desired with these lights? Will you be using them with haze for beam effects? Will you be using them to light performers from the back?

If you want a moving head fixture, as most people do when they're looking for something to mount on the top of a vertical truss, I'd suggest taking a look at Chauvet's new Intimidator Spot 150. Costs a bit more, but it's one of their newest fixtures, has rotating gobos, some built in effects (don't know if they're any good or not, but it has them), and 16 bit movement, which is critical for slower movements being smooth.

Something along the lines of the Chauvet Q-spot 250 (I think there is now a newer model) would be a better buy. LEDs just are not there yet as far as brightness. A 250 watt discharge unit is not much more $ then a 150 watt HTI. At 6 amps, the power load is still reasonable. (Will work off of a 20a circuit, and even a 15a in a pinch as the actual "run" current is more like 3 amps.) I've used them alongside 1000w pars with good results as long as the pars are gelled with deep colors. Example:
proxy.php

Another light that will give you a lot of punch and is dirt cheap, is the ADJ Acucolor 250. No motion or gobos but at $500, it's a punchy little 250w discharge fixture. In this shot, the ADJs are in Yellow, the Q-spots are in deep blue, and the rear pars are 1000w VNSP in #27 red and #22 amber.
proxy.php

Last edited:
I will be using them for effect, not to lighten the stage. I am now leaning toward the X-SCAN LED,

If you have any recommendations that are similar in effect or better and similar in cost of cheaper....let me know.

If you can provide links, please let me know.

I would avoid LED's if at all possible. As JD said, they just don't have the punch to fight the PAR's. You need some sort of a discharge fixture.

Yeah, why not go for something from this product range, or another version of a similar product. I have 2 of the Mania EF2's, (well I did until this morning, a venue tech may have blown one, if not both of them up. He said they were on non dim channels, until he ran the entire rig at 30%, and I asked, weren't they supposed to be non-dim?) and they are quite useful, but do not belong in the theatre, still, they do however belong at various parties I may host :rolleyes:
The style of light seems perfect for your situation, some of them like the EFX500 are DMX controllable, but most aren't.
Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back