Conventional Fixtures PAR lens orientation

This may sound like a stupid question but I have read different answers from different manufactures. What is the proper orientation of a par light lense? I always thought the convexed side went to the front/outside of the lamp. I took down several PAR fixtures the other day and all the lenses where backwards (convexed side in). They are all opti-PAR fixtures.

American DJ and Elation both show the lense installed convex side out. ETC shows the lense installed the other way http://www.etcconnect.com/DOCS/DOCS_DOWNLOADS/MANUALS/S4_PAR_USER_MANUAL_7061M1001.PDF

Can they be installed either way?

Thanks

I would check the user manuals and install the lens according to the instructions for each fixture. I have only used the S4 Par and have seen the lens in backwards, it was a pain to flip.....

This may sound like a stupid question but I have read different answers from different manufactures. What is the proper orientation of a par light lense? I always thought the convexed side went to the front/outside of the lamp. I took down several PAR fixtures the other day and all the lenses where backwards (convexed side in). They are all opti-PAR fixtures.

American DJ and Elation both show the lense installed convex side out. ETC shows the lense installed the other way http://www.etcconnect.com/DOCS/DOCS_DOWNLOADS/MANUALS/S4_PAR_USER_MANUAL_7061M1001.PDF

Can they be installed either way?

Thanks

The pictures on elations site shows the convex side out. ETC's face the other way, it all just depends on how the optics are designed.

I've heard that it can be a pain to remove convex-side-out S4 par lenses, but I doubt there is much practical difference. ETC's literature shows them belly-side-in.

On the contrary, clones such as the Opti-Par can be difficult when removing a lens that is installed concave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ETC Pars have a spring loaded release clip on the lens holder ring. If you install the lens convex out, it's very difficult to get the clip to release. It's hard enough when the lens is installed correctly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As others have stated, ETC PAR lenses should be convex side toward lamp. There is, beside being difficult to remove, some practical difference in how the instrument functions when the lens is backwards. Quite a bit more mushy and not as defined difference in bottle direction. Altman Star PARs on the other hand require the lens convex side out. Slightly different lens design, and like the Elation fixture used GLC/GLA/HP600/HX600 lamps which have a different filament designs than the HPL ETC uses.

I could not findthe picture you are taking about, But the optipar lenses go the same way that the S4 does. The picture is probably just an incorrect installation. Not real surprising, considering it is elation.

Okay, saw the picture. I'm pretty sure the lens is in backwards, or I have been using them backwards for years, and it does not make much difference.

Seriously? They want the *notchy* side of the lens out, where it's a pain to clean? (Par Four, in particular; I found a bunch pointed in towards the lamp, assumed they were "obviously" backwards, and reversed them.)

The ETC Pars have a spring loaded release clip on the lens holder ring. If you install the lens convex out, it's very difficult to get the clip to release. It's hard enough when the lens is installed correctly.

I made my own lens pulling tool for my Source 4 Pars and Parnels. I had some scrap steel from a damaged fish tape and put a 45˚ bend a half inch from the end. Using this tool I can push the release clip in and hook the lens to pull it out. It works beautifully.

When I came into the facility that I am currently running they had all the lens in belly out ( optiPar). It was the first time I had ever seen it as well. So I asked the guy I was replacing and he act surprised when I asked him why. So I pulled two fixtures down and demoed them side by side and low n behold it looked 10x better with the lens in correctly. Thus started the tear down of every fixture :/ . In total I broke prolly 10 lens out of the 100+ pars we have.

When I came into the facility that I am currently running they had all the lens in belly out ( optiPar). It was the first time I had ever seen it as well. So I asked the guy I was replacing and he act surprised when I asked him why. So I pulled two fixtures down and demoed them side by side and low n behold it looked 10x better with the lens in correctly. Thus started the tear down of every fixture :/ . In total I broke prolly 10 lens out of the 100+ pars we have.
So, they do go in the same way as a S4?

IMO I think it should. Whether elation states it or not.

What I don't get is, with this revelation, why don't they make any belly-side-in par lamps?

What I don't get is, with this revelation, why don't they make any belly-side-in par lamps?

I agree and that's why I asked the previous guy running things why he did that, as he was older so I figured there was a reason. He had none so I did the logical thing and tested them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back