Automated Fixtures Parameter Checks

imbrandone

I have been watching a few videos online of different venues and how they do parameter checks on their inteligent fixtures to make sure there are no technical issues arising.

They consist of running pan and tilt, colors, gobos, zoom, focus, strobe, etc.

I utilize both ETC Eos and Hog4 systems in my venues and was wondering if this a cue stack created to test these parameters. If not how would I go about generating these tests so I can ensure my fixtures are performing up to standard.

I usually just manually run the attributes on my Ion magic sheets. Tells me the fixtures are working as well as the buttons on the MS do what they're supposed to. With 6 MAC 700's and 9 Auras, takes less then a few minutes.

Lots of tours do it as cues.

I have a cue list (cue list 97 -- because 97 times out of 100, no one has written a cue list 97 into their show) that handles parameter checking for movers and other intelligent devices pre-show. I've essentially pre-written cues for each parameter for each type of device. Once I get the show patched, I write several groups that gather all the movers, then all the LEDs, and so on; once I open the cue list, it's a matter of putting them into the beginning of each sequence and letting them track.

The beginning of the cue list lamps on movers in sequence, then puts them at full intensity at a common focus point (usually DSC, if every mover can hit it), then each swings to a different focus point so I can look at each one. Then it goes through all the parameters that the devices have -- shutters if they have them CMY flags (or individual colors, if those are the movers du jour), templates, etc., etc. If there's a function that's in the board but not part of what the movers for the show use, I can link over those cues; that way, the master cue list stays the same for every show.

Toward the end of the cue list, I put all the movers and LEDs into some of the colors used by conventionals in the show, so I can try and tune them to match. After that, there are some fade-up and fade-downs over 2, 5, and 10 seconds so I can adjust curves if I need to.

At the end of the cue list, it clears the fader and shifts to the cue list(s) used for the show.

It's not that difficult to write, and if you're smart about it, you only need to do it once.

For large touring rigs, I have 2 or three cue lists per fixture, by location, all on the "Tech" page
First cue list tests pan and tilt by focusing downstage center, and then "flip" the position. I use 8 seconds per step for timing
The second cue list checks all of the optical functions. Color, Dimmer, Strobe, gobos, lenses, framing shutters, etc...
For floor lights I also have a "intermission" check cue that puts all of the fixtures directly upstage, in dark red, with low intensity. That way I can make sure they are all working, and all still oriented correctly.
I also have "lamp on" cues so at rig start up, all of the lamps come on.

My current Tech page:
1 Mythos P/T
2 Mythos beam
3 Mythos Lampon
4 LX1 VL P/T
5 LX1 VL Beam
6 LX1 VL Lamp on
7 LX2 VL P/T
8 LX2 VL Beam
9 XL2 VL Lamp On
10 GroundCtrl P/T
11 GroundCtrl Beam
12 Floor P/T
13 Floor beam
14 ColorForce Tech
15 Wall Tech (Strike 4's, Stormy CCs, and Magic Blades)
16 Floor Intermission
20 Pack-up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back